Aiken, South Carolina, United States
Production SupervisorJob ID 54906
The Shift Leader is responsible for the safety of their people first, as well as the training and development of the production employees. Additionally, the shift resource coordinates all the work of employees in the production department within a rotating shift environment. He/she is accountable for ensuring operational procedures are followed to product specifications and quality metrics are met to customers’ needs. The Shift Leader is a key leader in Total Productive Maintenance (TPM), with special emphasis on Autonomous Maintenance (AM) activities.
The Shift Resource provides leadership to enable team members to excel at meeting all safety, quality, and productivity expectations and goals. They are accountable for establishing an engaged workforce characterized by mutual trust, open communications, teamwork, inclusion, and recognition that positively impacts the team’s performance.
REPORTS TO: This position reports to Operations Leader.
SPAN OF CONTROL: This position directly supervises the assigned shift, and everybody assigned to them.
Living the “Safety Stand” and adhering to safety responsibilities
- Ensures a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment and builds a culture where safety is first priority.
- Trains and administers all required safety training.
- Maintains plant housekeeping expectations to ensure safety in compliance with “5S” standards.
- Ensures the team members are up to date on their specific certifications.
- Leads execution of team safety requirements –including (but not limited to) completion of reported safety hazards, safety meetings, pre-shift safety inspections, departmental inspections, and pre-task job hazard assessments.
- Participates in the investigation of safety incidents, driving to root cause and permanent resolution.
Leading and developing talents
- Effectively engages all teams to collaboratively own the success of the business and contribute to the continuous improvement in the areas of safety, quality, cost, productivity, etc.
- Provides candid feedback on expectations and performance to all team members on a regular basis and drives appropriate actions for further improvement through timely coaching.
- Administer and monitor complete training process for new hires and internal promotions/moves.
- Must know and uphold active bargaining agreement between Owens Corning and Teamsters Local #509 Union.
- Maintains documentation, tracks, counsels and executes corrective action when performance issues occur.
- Recognizes and rewards team members’ positive behaviors and contribution to critical plant performance metrics in a way that they feel appreciated.
- Invests in the growth and development of team members and others to achieve sustained success.
- Partner with the T&D pillar to develop training to reduce line losses and close the skill gaps for operators.
- Monitors and enforces all plant and corporate policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates critical plant performance metrics to team members daily to ensure engagement.
- Collaborates with relevant stakeholders, escalates when necessary, and takes proper actions to get desired production output of the plant.
- Reports and explains output figures to Operations Leader on daily basis.
- Assures consistent quality and traceability by driving team members to analyze process-information, product information and machinery information.
- Supports projects led by operational team members.
- Understands and communicates customer expectations throughout the team and ensures all products meet customer standards and requirements.
- Ensures timely and accurate production to schedules in order to align with customer needs.
- Reports and investigates all quality issues
- Performs root cause analysis with the involvement of team members on all quality issues and resolves those issues in a timely manner.
- Partners with relevant stakeholders to optimize process and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
- Participates in Lean Toolkit training and utilizes tools on regular basis.
- Participates in and leads Kaizen and 5S events in various work areas throughout plant.
- Leverages standard work to minimize variation and waste.
- Utilizes proper resourcing to meet cost targets.
- Oversee shift timecards and check daily for accuracy.
- Monitor team members’ attendance in accordance with plant policy.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, engineering or related field / equivalent experience in manufacturing industry
- Three or more years’ experience in manufacturing, industrial or related field.
- Experience utilizing computer programs and Microsoft Office products.
- Proven ability to drive production through team coordination.
- Demonstrated success of building a team and developing people.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and guide for results.
- Demonstrated ability to organize/lead multi-functional teams to achieve plant objectives.
- Six Sigma Green Belt and experience in continuous improvement (preferred).
- Experience with TPM and autonomous maintenance program (preferred)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Technical acumen
- Driving results for the benefit of the Aiken plan and Owens Corning as a whole
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) to effectively communicate with people across all levels of the organization
- Customer oriented
- Inspire and energize others
- Collaborate and foster team work
- Data driven decision making
- Strategic business analysis
- Engage self and others in learning
- Follow through on commitments and promises
- Generates ideas to improve safety, process, and productivity.
- Demonstrate strong sense of urgency, proactive leadership and ownership of employees and shift results.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products, manufacturing technologies, and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2019 sales of $7.2 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 65 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.