Bend, Oregon, United States
Sr Area Sales Manager - Pacific NWJob ID 54993
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Home Center sales organization is seeking a Sr. Area Sales Manager (ASM) to drive growth for our Roofing and Insulation businesses with key national accounts. This position is responsible for executing our Home Depot and Lowe’s strategy within their territory. The successful candidate works strategically with multiple management levels within the customers’ organization and Owens Corning, to ensure that Owens Corning grows and prospers as Home Depot and Lowe’s grow and prosper.
This position will ideally be based in Portland, but is open to locations within the Washington State/Oregon territory.
This position reports to the Home Centers Sales Leader.
Knowing Our Customers (Driving Business Growth through deep customer knowledge and market understanding)
- Knows how OC and its customers make money; fully understands business and pricing strategy and aligns actions and decisions with this strategy.
- Gains deep knowledge of customer business strengths and struggles, through consultative discussions and active listening.
- Continuously builds intimate insight and knowledge of the building materials industry and markets within the territory.
- Understands Home Depot’s and Lowe’s retail strategies and how they apply locally.
- Understands Home Depot and Lowe’s organization structure and how to execute within that structure.
- Navigates a large organization and influence results at all levels of the organization.
Developing Territory Strategy
- Creates and executes territory strategy to address local needs and dynamics while supporting division and company goals.
- Leverages product and customer data to identify and prioritize opportunities as part of a territory strategy.
- Provides analysis of the competition, which identifies competitive advantages, disadvantages and company strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops analysis of external and execution risks and their potential impact on business along with a mitigation plan to address the risks with identified actions.
- Provides a sku assortment analysis and stocking recommendations.
- Develops a Value chain / Influence map.
- Leverages project based selling.
- Knows the contractors that Home Depot and Lowe’s serve.
- Deeply understands store performance levels within each market, including key drivers of success at high volume locations.
Executing to Deliver Results
- Leverages financial and industry acumen in consultative and business discussions with customers.
- Leverages available resources to support responsible and profitable business decisions.
- Requests and leverages feedback and ideas from others to strengthen self and business; collaborates across functions as needed.
- Well-versed in product portfolio and value proposition; aligns customer needs with the best solution to create win-win outcomes.
- Prioritizes time and efforts accordingly based on the territory strategy they put in place.
- Owns product placement within the territory, ensuring superior in-store service is provided for Owens Corning product categories at Home Depot and Lowe’s.
- Executes on the customer strategy, leads key initiatives, shares results with others, and engages with contractors to ensure we are delivering on what the customer values most.
- Creates demand downstream, trains store employees and contractors, ensures stores have the best SKU assortments for the market, completes routine competitive reviews including comp shops and store audits.
- Leverages strong organizational skills and initiative to achieve defined sales revenue and volume objectives.
- Acts upon and understands how the customer defines success, and how to leverage the two organizations for mutual success.
- Routinely knows products and services from memory and is an information source for others.
- Leverages data and customer relationships to solidify placement of roofing and insulation products.
- Responsible for delivering sales results in multiple OC product categories in several marketplaces within the territory.
- Maintains direct interaction with Home Depot and Lowe’s store operations, regional management and, district management.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field, or equivalent experience
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Knowledge of the building materials industry, preferred
- Bilingual preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years of direct sales experience, preferably in the building materials industry (or direct sales to the home center segment)
- Demonstrated ability to develop a sale from cold call through close
- Ability to market, educate and sell new products and services; attracting new customers
- Experience working with multiple locations in various markets and states
- Solid experience delivering impactful presentations, training and demonstrations
- Experience operating across geographic and cultural boundaries
- Demonstrated knowledge and practical understanding of building science
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Understands how channels function and interact, and how this influences business decisions
- Understands OC choices to win; where and how we play in the market as a company
- Effectively builds and balances relationships with customers
- Leans into difficult conversations and challenges assumptions to enable positive outcomes
- Holds self and others accountable; follows through on commitments, and follows up when needed
- Manages time and priorities in an organized, effective manner; achieves tasks and goals timely and with a high level of quality
- Demonstrates a positive, team-player attitude; offers helpful solutions and support to others
- Ability to learn and effectively train others on selling and installing OC Products
- Knows how to sell against the competition’s products and services
- Ability to build strong customer relationships
- Ability to prioritize and execute against multiple opportunities
- Ability to influence others and mentor peers
- Makes decisions and commits to a course of action with appropriate information and recognizes uncertainty of success.
- Highly motivated and results driven with a high energy level.
- Asks meaningful questions with critical listening and analytical skills.
- Intelligent, creative, analytical.
- Expresses himself/herself candidly and encourages candor from others.
- Leads with a strong set of values aligned with Owens Corning’s values.
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products, manufacturing technologies, and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2019 sales of $7.2 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 65 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.