The EHS Leader is a critical member of the steering team, providing guidance and coaching in the areas of safety and environmental stewardship to all plant members. The EHS Leader interfaces across the Composite Business to provide solutions to safety challenges as well as advances and innovation in Hazard Identification. The position acts as the subject matter expert in the plant and is accountable for building capability to ensure a plant wide safety culture.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Plant Leader, NW Blythewood and Plant Leader, Rebar Blythewood
1. Live the Safety stand, adhere to the safety responsibilities
- Complete all required safety training
- Adhere to all plant and position-specific safety policies, procedures and standards
- Educate team members on safe operations of new processes or modifications
- Effectively communicate Owens Corning’s stand on safety throughout the Plant to ensure all employees believe in and behave in a manner that supports our stand that all accidents are preventable, safety is everyone’s responsibility, and that working safely is a condition of employment at Owens Corning
2. Leading and executing Safety & Environmental in the plant
- Lead and support safety initiatives and processes to drive towards an injury free culture
- Lead and support environmental initiatives and process to drive towards zero NOVs/ENCs
- Effectively communicate Owens Corning’s stand on safety to ensure employees believe in and behave in a manner that supports our stand that all accidents are preventable, safety is everyone’s responsibility, and that working safely is a condition of employment at Owens Corning
- Maintain a leadership presence on the plant floor, influence employee and Leadership behaviors, and fully engage employees in the safety process
- Advise and guide the steering team in developing and implementing a risk-ranked strategic plan, prioritize and advocate capital/resource requests, and advise the leadership team on all aspects of environmental requirements and responsibilities
- Grow and develop the plant safety specialist, as well as the EHS Pillar within the workforce
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the effectiveness of all critical EHS processes, programs, and procedures including those related to Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Sets and accomplishes critical metrics regularly to ensure continuous improvement in the processes that lead to a 100% engaged safety culture at the plant
- Live the Safety Stand, adhere to the safety responsibilities
- Partner with FI team to lead and initiate Management of Change (MOC) processes
- Oversee construction projects at the site
- Track data for sustainability to report out to Corporate
- Develop innovation solutions to drive sustainability goals
- Safety Metrics – RIR/TIR, SIF First Aids, SIF Near Misses, SIF recordable(s), SAFE Management, and Critical 6
- Safety Continuous Improvement
- Engaged EHS Pillar
- Risk control process / hazard control risk score reduction (HRC)
- Environmental metrics- ENCs/NOVs and Zero waste to landfill
Drive Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) Actions & Implementation
- Ownership of TPM activities in increasing total production standards
- Responsible for leading the development and execution of TPM implementation plans to meet and exceed the business objectives
- Assist in leading and facilitating teams through events including but not limited to: Kaizen events, 5S, Lean Daily Management, Waste Elimination, Managing for Daily Improvement, Visual Factory, Six Sigma projects and other similar processes.
- Oversee the upkeep and continuous auditing of the TPM pillar boards throughout the plant
- Hold team members accountable for follow-through on TPM activities or improvements.
- Support the TPM leader with various TPM related activities
- Eliminates potential health and safety risks, resulting in a safer workplace.
- Specifically targets the goal of an accident-free workplace
3. Knowing Our Customers
- Elevates the customer perspective of self and others by knowing our products, manufacturing and selling processes; leverages this knowledge to influence other leaders to make the best business decisions
- Works to understand all phases of product distribution, sales, and field use
4. Leading and Developing Talent
- Build leadership capability within Safety teams
- Collaborate with other EHS community members
- Partner with local and federal agencies
- 5 years EHS leadership in an industrial environment or graduate of Owens Corning Environmental, Health & Safety Leadership Program
- Bachelor’s degree in safety and environmental management or similar
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) qualification preferred
- Leading change management efforts
- Demonstrated success coaching and leading teams in a high employee empowerment culture, while training and developing technical skills in others
- Managing and delivering results through projects and initiatives
- Experience utilizing SAP, Aspen Tech, Cority, Excel, PowerPoint and AWAQS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to travel as required (5-10%)
- Learns concepts and new skills at a very rapid pace and applies learning to the job
- Understands deep and complex scientific concepts and can troubleshoot problems based on abstract data
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards
- Achieves results fast, individually and through teams – can synthesize data and multiple points of view quickly and creatively to arrive at balanced solutions
- Takes business risks, grows from failures and celebrates success
- Quality and detail driven; unyielding performance expectations of self and others in living the OC Safety Stand
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2016 sales of $5.7 billion and employs about 17,000 people in 33 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 63 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products, manufacturing technologies, and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2019 sales of $7.2 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 65 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.