Chambery, Rhone, France
Senior Product Developer ChemistryJob ID 53655
At Owens Corning Science & Technology Center, the Sr Scientist is accountable for developing organic chemistries compatible with glass fiber & thermoplastics resins to serve the composites industries. This role is critical to develop environmentally friendly products that will deliver new differentiating values for OC customers & will drive for profitable growth for OC at 2% above market growth. Primary end markets are Automotive & Pipe.
Applicants should have significant proven experience in the field of composites chemistry design – fiber sizing, fiber coatings and resin chemistries, particularly in thermoplastics systems, such as PP, PE, PA, PC…. Experience in LFT is a plus. Glass Composite process experience is also valued with basic understanding of processes and methods for using fiberglass input materials.
This position is consequently accountable for
- Designing chemistries (sizing) compatible with glass and Thermoplastics resins on time & expected value (performances cost) for tangible business impact with existing and new customers.
- Leading product development towards scientific approach ( DOE & analytics) by partnering with Global labs and other products developers. New products will have to be developed based on Size science, analytics & quick prototyping.
- Partnering with Process team to prepare for smooth products plant scale up and customers qualification.
- Maintaining a strong understanding of markets/technology trends that will affect the thermoplastics resins & chemistries. He/she will utilize his/her technical products & application knowledge to represent Owens Corning at customers meetings, conferences, industry associations & to generate customers interest & excitement.
- Leading a small technical group of early career products developers with sole focus on sizing design.
This role will be based in Chambéry , France. 10-30% time travel (customers, plants, conferences)
Reports to: Composites Sizing COE Director, based in Granville, OH
- Ensure every Owens Corning employee comes back home safely every night
- Provide Safety leadership to a team working in a non-routine environment by promoting safety awareness and performances for self and others to achieve full compliance with Owens Corning standards.
- Adhere to Owens Corning safety policies at all times.
- Develop New products based on high Performance organic chemistries compatible with glass & thermoplastics resin on time & value. Design using scientific approach
- By partnering with product manager, Interview and understand customer needs & translate needs into sizing design criteria. Ensure products benchmark is available and fully understood
- Articulate technical assumptions for value creation, work with Owens Corning experts & sourcing to identify cost effective ingredients to be used in the sizing design. Understand well the resins and modifiers used in thermoset matrix systems and their chemical reactivity at a chemical functional group level.
- Design through DOE approach experiments to develop products
- Lead and execute, with the support of the lab, mimics team, modeling resources, trials for data collection
- Analyze data statistically for decision making, recommend for the Best in Class product
- Ensures sizing/ products developed are environmentally friendly and compliant with local regulations where it will be manufactured.
- Ensures that OC develops and maintains a sustainable competitive advantage by protectin your inventions through patents or trade secrets
- Ensures successful industrialization through partnership with early product management team and sourcing team to mitigate for supply risk
- Support marketing teams in the product claims exercise thanks to your data analytics expertise and customer qualification trialsthou
- Drive development though data collection to support marketing teams in the product claims
3- Play an active role in elevating the performance of global sizing Center of Excellence
- Be an active contributor of Owens Corning Size 2.0 program. Generate ideas for new testing methodologies that will increase speed & precision in delivering product Innovation.
- Be seen as a KEY expert in the field of Thermoplastics chemistries.
- Stay tuned on trends compatible with thermoset domains including nanotechnologies, hybrid chemistries, EHS aspects, new testing methods.
- Utilize chemistry knowledge to represent Owens Corning at suppliers/customers meetings, conferences, industry associations & to generate customers interest & excitement.
4- Effectively lead a small technical team being seen as an inspirational leader with deep technical expertise
- Highly organized and communicative when working with team members and peers
- Inspire and energize technicians to engage and foster team work to shared goals
- Utilize project management tools for well-structured project execution and communication of responsibilities, timelines and milestones
Experience and Knowledge Requirements: Chemist by background – Thermoplastics expertise
- PhD in organic chemistry or polymer science is required.
- Minimum 10 years of leading R&D team in product design, product/applications development and industrialization ideally in the fields of thermoplastics composites (resin companies, glass fiber companies)
- Proven success in commercializing new products.
- Hands-on experience managing R&D portfolio and budget and executing resource allocation strategies.
- Proven track record recruiting and developing top-notch technical talent.
- Experience working in global environment.
Competencies and skills Abilities: ideally from the fiberglass or resin industries – Thermoplastics value chain
- Deep organic chemistry/polymer science knowledge applicable to glass coating ideally
- Able to build DOE & decide though analytics (mandatory to master Minitab, Statistica or an equivalent at expert level)
- Good communication & technical documentation skills are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work effectively as a collaborator on multi-functional teams is a must.
- Experience in a fiberglass composites chemistry field is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with composite manufacturing processes is desired.
- Working knowledge of mechanical Properties of composites is desired.
Personal characteristics: Change agent, drive for success, team oriented
- Change agent with the ambition to make things happen by investing into capabilities and talent
- Ability to manage relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization in order to inform and influence decision making and deliver on commitments.
- Ability to maintain healthy communication stream internally and externally including with customers and suppliers
- TEAMWORK ORIENTED: Self-starter who works with minimal supervision that balances multiple assignments; works effectively across technology, marketing and manufacturing groups to ensure project success.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Knows what needs to be done and gets it done. Willingly takes responsibility for project outcomes as a whole; unafraid of owning the results, actions and decisions of self or organization. Committed to follow through to completion.