Chambery, Rhone, France
Sr. Design & Modeling EngineerJob ID 55312
Owens Corning is a 7$B Building Materials Company, headquarter based in Ohio (US), today present in 27 countries. This is one of the biggest glass fiber producer for the composites markets. Owens Corning operates 6 R&D Centers globally, of which one in Chambéry France. Are you interested in a new long term career opportunity with Owens Corning ? Do you want to work in an innovative environment that adds variety to the work day and focuses on new discoveries and solving problems? Do you want to develop new composite applications ? Innovation and sustainability rule our Science and Technology division. At Owens Corning, your work will drive these initiatives and bolster the success of the company.
The Senior Engineer manages the development, implementation, and support of new technologies related to global advanced modeling operations throughout the Composites Solutions Business Globally. This role will focus on composite part and system level design for static to large deformation and interface micro-mechanics/adhesion. The Senior Engineer will translate customer product, process & application needs into effective product/process specification and lead modeling projects to successfully deliver solutions.
1. Live safely : live the Safety Stand of Owens Corning and adhere to the safety responsibilities
2. Support Customers Application Development via Modeling (approximate 80%)
- Develop & Optimize fiberglass reinforced polymer (FRP) composite applications using Finite Element (FE) methods
- Create new CAD or modify existing CAD designs as per the application needs
- Perform static and dynamic (linear + non-linear) finite element analysis of existing and newdesigns to meet product performance and customer requirements across all product lines
- Develop material data cards with composite products for linear/non-linear analysis
- Document analysis in detailed technical reports, presentations, and management updates
- Actively participate in global multi-disciplinary product development, process improvement, and problem-solving teams globally
- Provide technical service to allow our customers to take cost out or enhance their products and gain access to new markets
3. Development and delivery of modeling technologies (approximate 20%)
- Develop linkage between micro, macro & process modeling for composites applications
- Conduct research and development work in computer modeling for use in current and future glass reinforcement solutions, enabling the company to maintain its leadership position in global markets
- Understand latest modeling and material characterization tool enhancements and make improvements to current resources, including micro-mechanics, stability and durability.
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Materials Science or related field of study (PhD preferred)
- Must be fluent in performing Laminate Analysis, Finite Element analysis (static & dynamic) of FRP composite material
- Deep understanding of FRP composite structure-property relations, material behavior & failure modes under static & dynamic loading
- Strong background and experience in part design and application development using thermoset & thermoplastic FRP composite materials
- Ability to create & modify CAD files from different CAD tools (Example-Solidworks). Meshing the CAD (Example- Hypermesh) - to convert to Finite Element models.
- Trained in the use of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Travel: 10-20% (Within Eu & International)
- Five or more years’ experience in Composite modeling including- Laminate design, Finite Element Analysis (Abaqus preferred)
- Familiar with typical thermoset and thermoplastic composite material in different reinforcement forms.
- Hands-on experience of typical composite manufacturing processes (open and close molding, SMC, pultrusion, filament winding, infusion, etc.)
- Track record of working with customers to design composite parts & systems
- Composite process modeling experience (Moldex3D preferred)
- Experience in Python scripting (Abaqus)
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Problem Solving with scientific approach
- CAD software experience- Solidworks, CATIA,
- Meshing- Hypermesh (preferred), Abaqus-CAE, Ansys-Meshing
- Software for part & system level design/modeling- Abaqus (preferred), Ansys, Digimat, MoldFlow, Moldex3D, MultiMech
- Good communication and technical documentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work effectively as a member of domestic and international teams
- Project management experience
- An understanding of modeling tools, statistics and quality systems.
- Highly motivated, self-initiating individual