Compton, California, United States
Front Line LeaderJob ID 54533
Business Title: Front Line Leader
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Operations Leader
Span of Control: 12-15 employees.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Front Line Leader is responsible for performance and continued growth of the Compton, CA manufacturing facility, including the safety of all employees, process optimization, and training and development. The Front Line Leader must function at high levels of effectiveness at both the “hands-on” and the strategic levels. This includes a willingness to operate equipment, ensure operational procedures are up to date and are used consistently, all products are produced to quality specifications and meet customers’ needs, coordinate the work of employees in the production department to meet production schedule, and respond promptly to employee issues and concerns.
The successful Front Line Leader provides leadership that enables team members to excel at meeting all safety, quality, and productivity expectations. He/she is accountable for building an engaged workforce characterized by mutual trust, open communication, teamwork, and recognition that positively impacts the plant performance. The Front Line Leader is also accountable for maintaining standard work, startup and shutdown procedures, and product changeover guides to assure all plant personnel are following standards for for the operation of plant equipment to provide optimum run time in the safest and most cost effective manner.
This role is essential to the Compton facility.
Living the Safety stand and adhering to safety responsibilities
• Assists and provides safety training as qualified.
• Ensures a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment, and builds a culture where safety is the number one priority.
• Maintains plant housekeeping expectations to ensure a safe plant environment.
• Leads the execution of monthly team safety requirements, including completion of behavior-based safety observations, hazard recognition, safety meetings, pre-shift safety inspections, departmental inspections, hearing examinations, etc.
• Participates in the investigation of safety incidents and leads root cause analysis to drive for permanent resolution.
• Reports and investigates injuries, first aids and near misses.
Knowing our customers
• Develops and implements procedures and systems to ensure equipment consistently meets or exceeds customer expectations.
• Understands and communicates customer expectations to the team, and ensures all products meet customer standards and requirements.
• Ensures timely and accurate production to schedule in order to meet or exceed on time delivery.
Leading and developing talent
• Engages all teams to collaboratively own the success of the business by contributing to continuous improvement in the areas of safety, quality, cost, productivity, etc.
• Provides candid feedback on expectations and performance to members of the team on a regular basis, and drives appropriate actions for further improvement.
• Completes robust performance reviews as defined with each team member.
• Recognizes and rewards positive behaviors and contribution to critical plant performance metrics.
• Invests in the growth and development of team members and others to achieve sustained success.
• Implements and documents corrective action when performance issues occur.
• Partners with relevant stakeholders to ensure team members are well trained and up to date on certifications required to perform the full scope of the job.
• Builds and leads effective work teams and committees to increase plant performance and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
• Effectively communicates critical plant performance metrics to team members on a daily basis to ensure engagement.
• Monitors and enforces all plant and corporate policies and procedures.
• Reaches mutually beneficial agreement with all operating departments on required capacity specifications. Capacity specifications are measured by Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) or a similar metric that measures capacity related to quality, availability, and performance.
• Analyses and communicates output data to the Leader on a regular basis.
• Assesses situations and takes action to proactively mitigate potential problems.
• Ensures consistent product quality by guiding team members to analyze key process variables, maintain critical product and equipment information.
• Reports and investigates quality near misses.
• Performs root cause analysis in partnership with key stakeholders to address quality issues, and resolves those issues in a timely manner.
• Utilizes proper resourcing to meet cost targets.
• Partners with the maintenance staff to ensure the efficiency of plant equipment.
Leads Continuous Improvement Activities
• Leverages standard work to minimize variation and waste.
• Leads focused Improvement activities to improve process capability and efficiencies, reduce costs, and eliminate waste.
• Partners with relevant stakeholders to optimize process and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
• Participates in and leads Kaizen and 5S events in various work areas throughout plant.
• Leads product qualification efforts with the support of key stakeholders
• Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred.
• Two or more years of relevant technical experience in manufacturing, industrial or related field
• Two or more years of experience leading teams or large projects/initiatives
• A proven track record of driving results by engaging others
• Demonstrated success in building a team and developing people
• Demonstrated ability to organize/lead multi-functional teams to achieve plant objectives
• Six Sigma Green Belt and continuous improvement experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Strong safety focus
• Strong technical acumen
• Strong communication skills (written and oral) to effectively communicate with people across all levels of the organization
• Acts on analysis
• Engages self and others in learning
• Thinks strategically
• Customer oriented
• Competitively drive results
• Follows through on commitments and promises
• Develops People
• Inspires and energizes others
• Collaborates and fosters team work
• Generates Ideas
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products, manufacturing technologies, and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2019 sales of $7.2 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 65 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.