Compton, California, United States
Maintenance UtilityJob ID 60146
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Maintenance Utility is responsible for the general upkeep of plant facilities and grounds as well as assist in the receiving and organizing of parts and other non-inventory material into the storage room. This includes assisting in managing spare parts inventories, free bins and ensuring that deliveries are received and distributed timely and accurately. The Maintenance Utility is a key contributor to the continuous improvements of critical plant performance metrics in the areas of safety, productivity, cost, quality and sustainability. This role is essential to the successful operations of the Compton Roofing and Asphalt site. The Maintenance Utility is an hourly position reporting to Maintenance Supervisor.
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements. Safety is a condition of employment.
- Participates in the safety, quality, TPM and housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Focused Improvement Events, Safety Committee, etc.
- Performs job tasks to reduce environmental impact and adheres to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste disposal.
- Complies with all plant rules and safety regulations.
- Performs cleanup duties at workstations, offices, restrooms, breakrooms and throughout the plant to upkeep and maintain plant cleanliness and hygiene standards.
- Ensures supplies are ordered and maintains stock to resupply hygiene materials as well as breakroom supplies, cleaning materials, etc.
- Facilitates a schedule to maintain cleanliness in all office areas throughout the week
- Makes repairs and upgrades to plant facilities as needed, including drywall, baseboard repair, painting, etc.
- Vacuums, maps, waxes the floor as needed to create a sense of pride in the workplace for all employees coming to work
- Partners closely with the storeroom clerk to ensure organization and accuracy of spare parts and kitting area and supports daily activity to include down days.
- Assists in the proper completion of delivery paperwork and material receipt.
- Labels parts with SAP code and other relavant information per our labeling protocol.
- Drive organized and thoughtful 5s standards in the storeroom and across the plant for the maintenance team.
- Distributes parts and supplies to designated areas.
- Assist in cycle counts as needed.
- Demonstrates flexibility to changing priorities as business needs dictate.
- Establishes goals, prioritizes and organizes actions, timelines and resources.
- Understands the needs of the customer and takes action to address those needs.
- Acts decisively and shows a strong sense of urgency to ensure follow through of established goals.
- Identifies and participates proactively in learning opportunities, and develops expertise in those areas.
- Ensures standard operating procedures and processes are in place.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of this position, as directed by the area leader.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- One or more year of relevant work experience required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Proficiency in SAP preferred.
- Must be able to operate a forklift.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Must be drug and alcohol free
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must read, write and speak English
- Must understand verbal and written instructions
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Must multi-task
- Must have strong internal and external customer service skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must be self-motivated to work independently and in a group, and meet targets
- Must perform basic mathematical calculations
- Must have strong attention to detail
- Must train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Must operate necessary software to successfully perform job responsibilities
- Must be able to think and work under pressure and analyze information to identify solutions
- Must have and execute with sense of urgency
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED TRAINING
- All annual safety and role specific training, as required by the nature of this position
RATE AND BENEFITS
The hourly rate for this position is $21.94. We also offer a substantial benefits package including insurance (medical/dental/vision/life/disability/supplemental offerings), 401k (company contribution regardless of employee participation – plus match), liberal paid time off (vacation, personal floating and standard holidays), Employee Assistance Services, Stock Purchase Program – and more.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and construction materials leader committed to building a sustainable future through material innovation. Our three integrated businesses – Composites, Insulation, and Roofing – provide durable, sustainable, energy-efficient solutions that leverage our unique material science, manufacturing, and market knowledge to help our customers win and grow. We are global in scope, human in scale with approximately 20,000 employees in 33 countries dedicated to generating value for our customers and shareholders, and making a difference in the communities where we work and live. Founded in 1938 and based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, Owens Corning posted 2021 sales of $8.5 billion. For more information, visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.