Compton, California, United States
Shift TechnicianJob ID 53931
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for executing maintenance work to maintain efficient operations and upkeep of the facility’s manufacturing equipment and other related physical assets. The Maintenance Technician is a key contributor to the continuous improvement of critical plant performance metrics in the areas of safety, productivity, cost, quality and sustainability.
The Maintenance Technician is an hourly position reporting to the Maintenance Front Line Leader.
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements. Safety is a condition of employment.
- Participates in the safety, quality, TPM and housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Focused Improvement Events, Safety Committee, etc.
- Performs job tasks to reduce environmental impact and adheres to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste disposal.
- Complies with all plant rules, safety regulations and job hazard analysis (JHA) requirements.
- Performs cleanup duties at equipment areas, workstations, etc.
- Maintains an uncompromising adherence to 5S standards; keeps the work area and equipment clean.
- Collaborates with team members and participates in team discussions to achieve the goals of the plant.
- Proactively makes suggestions/proposals to strive for continuous improvement of plant performance.
- Establishes goals, prioritizes and organizes actions, timelines and resources.
- Performs work tasks from SAP generated work descriptions and orders.
- Completes all maintenance service requests as assigned.
- Responds to emergency maintenance service requests while on-call.
- Maintains and repairs manufacturing equipment and facilities using knowledge of mechanical, electrical and other related trades to ensure optimal operation.
- Achieves productivity goals and minimizes downtime through completion of preventative maintenance to identify and remediate programs.
- Works with engineering drawings, electrical diagrams, simple and complex sketches, related documents and verbal field instructions needed to perform assigned duties.
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves mechanical and electrical issues throughout plant.
- Interacts with vendors and suppliers to source materials and supervise repairs.
- Meets committed downtimes and turns equipment over that functions properly.
- Maintains and organizes machine and maintenance data.
- Provides maintenance training to relevant stakeholders.
- Assists with the on-boarding of new employees.
- Helps ensure maintenance expenses stay within budget to contribute to bottom-line results.
- Demonstrates flexibility to perform various job roles within the maintenance department as assigned.
- Provides relief to positions of prior qualification as required.
- Actively focuses on achieving results and objectives; willing to go the extra mile when results do not meet expectations
- Understands the needs of the customer and takes action to address those needs.
- Acts decisively and shows a strong sense of urgency to ensure follow through of established goals.
- Proactively identifies and participates in learning opportunities, and develops expertise in those areas.
- Collaborates with internal customers, such as operators, to promote team-based problem solving.
- Actively contributes to team collaboration for troubleshooting, even if the collaboration doesn’t lead to the fulfillment of immediate personal interest.
- Utilizes site resources to solve problems to root cause, and implement actions that prevent reoccurrence.
- Supports capital, equipment and process changes.
- Obtains skills training to remain updated and ensure specialty knowledge.
- Holds high standards for the quality of products and services, and proactively takes effective actions to meet the standards.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Seven to ten years of relevant work experience preferred
- Mechanical and electrical industrial maintenance experience preferred
- Troubleshooting and programming experience with Alan Bradley PLC's preferred
- Experience in troubleshooting and repair of three-phase power distribution systems
- Completion of a five year mechanical or electrical apprenticeship is a plus
- Military training in electronics/electrical engineering is a plus
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Must be drug and alcohol free
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must read, write, and speak English
- Must understand verbal and written instructions
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Must multi-task
- Must have strong internal and external customer service skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must be self-motivated to work independently and meet targets
- Must perform basic mathematical calculations
- Must train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen and high mechanical aptitude
- Must operate a computer and the necessary software to successfully perform job responsibilities
- Must maintain scheduling flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Must have quick decision making ability to overcome upset situations
- Must secure and maintain job related qualifications and certifications as required by the nature of this position
- Must perform well in a non-routine work environment
- Must be proficient in mechanical and electrical machine systems troubleshooting and repair; must be able to use a variety of hand and power tools; must be proficient in one or more trades
- Must be able to safely operate common power tools, hand tools, and meters
- Must have maintenance knowledge with handling, installing, testing and operating all types of mechanical and electrical equipment including hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanical drives, motors, MCCs, electrical, HVAC, PLC, etc.
- Must have maintenance spare part knowledge to locate and retrieve parts from Stores
- Must have maintenance metrics knowledge to monitor, optimize and drive continuous improvement
- Must have Troubleshooting and problem solving abilities with large industrial equipment
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED TRAINING
- All annual safety and role specific training, as required by the nature of this position
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Rotating shifts – days and nights
- Stand for extended, prolonged periods
- Work overtime as needed
- Meet the physical demands of the work environment
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.