Granville, Ohio, United States
Additive Manufacturing EngineerJob ID 54361
The Additive Manufacturing Engineer supports the Advanced Manufacturing organization by transforming Owens Corning’s manufacturing equipment and processes utilizing additive technologies. The Additive Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for design, development, and testing of all facets of the additive process with a focus on machines, software, part design and analysis, materials, and additive techniques. This role is accountable for conceptualizing, developing, and implementing step-change processes enabled by additive technologies for all Insulation, Composite, and Roofing products worldwide. Join the additive manufacturing revolution at Owens Corning.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Leader – Additive Manufacturing
Live the safety stand and adhere to the safety responsibilities.
- Embraces and upholds the company policies and procedures related to safety.
- Be a leader in improving safe work practices.
- Embraces company policies and procedures for documenting hazards, near misses and incidents.
Identify and lead strategic additive manufacturing projects focused on manufacturing process transformation.
- Collaborate with advanced manufacturing, science & technology, and centers of excellence to develop and optimize designs for additive manufacturing.
- Identify and apply additive technologies and materials to unlock opportunities for glass processing applications.
- Cultivate relationships with new external partners and effectively utilize existing partners to expand technology access and accelerate learning plans.
- Disrupt legacy manufacturing processes using a first principles design approach.
- Serve as project manager during new process industrialization efforts and coordinate between different functional groups (operations, innovation, sourcing, capital delivery, product management)
- Collaborate with internal and external partners during development to apply Early Management (EM) principles from Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
- Utilizes Minimum Viable Experiment (MVE) and lean startup concepts enabling faster development for innovative process concepts and design solutions.
- Proactively mitigate risk and respond appropriately to project changes or challenges.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university
- 2+ years of prior experience with metallic 3D printing / additive manufacturing.
- Ability and willingness to travel, as required.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in engineering or related technical discipline from an accredited college or university.
- Welding, material science, and/or metallurgical expertise.
- Experience with material sample preparation and analysis.
- Experience in 3D CAD modeling (Solidworks, Inventor) and/or design simulation packages (ANSYS).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Willingness and ability to learn and operate a varying range of equipment.
- Balance of theoretical and hands on manufacturing engineering.
- Ability to interface with plant personnel and execute projects in the manufacturing environment.
- Project management - effective management of projects including but not limited to scope, schedule, cost, risk, resource, and issue management.
- Technical leadership – previous execution of small to large scale projects including cross-functional teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify root causes and provide efficient solutions.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.