Granville, Ohio, United States
Applications Engineer, GeosyntheticsJob ID 53658
The Geosynthetics Application Engineer is a key contributor to driving profitable and sustainable growth to the global strategy of Owens Corning’s geosynthetics markets across all businesses, with a key focus in North America. This is achieved through technological advances that will lead to the improvement of existing and development of new geosynthetics materials and applications. This position plays a key role in applications and product development by providing expertise in civil engineering, as well as, application and product design.
The Geosynthetics Applications Engineer is the key liaison and primary technical partner that will work closely with customers, specifying engineers, other technical teams, science and technology, manufacturing teams and business and operational managers.
Excellence in technical service to our customers
- Primary customer facing technical expert representing Owens Corning Geosynthetics products.
- Accountable for understating applications and design requirements and specifying the correct offering for the project.
- Works closely with sales partners, direct customers, specifying engineers and regulatory agencies to drive application designs and identify new product opportunities.
- Teams with other professionals to share knowledge, develop, and implement ideas.
- Provides customers and influencers with key technical support activities including design reviews, material take-offs, construction specifications, value engineering proposals, equivalence assurances and life cycle cost assessments.
- Works closely with industry technical organizations and regulatory agencies to proliferate the usage of geosynthetics in relevant civil and environmental engineering applications.
- Leads applications research in conjunction with 3rd party research organizations to develop new claims, applications, products or marketing opportunities.
Develops new geosynthetics applications and products
- Uses product and applications engineering expertise to identify and drive biggest growth and development opportunities.
- Provides expertise regarding the relationship between civil and environmental site design and product properties.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities for improved cost or product performance from an applications perspective.
- Partners with 3rd party suppliers and technical institutions to develop new offerings.
- Organizes, leads, and implements field and installation trials, data collection and analysis.
- Drives specifications of OC products at the project, agency and regulatory level.
- Educates specifying engineers and regulators as to the benefits of OC products over conventional offerings
- Develops and submits value engineering proposals to demonstrate the lower installed costs of OC products and win new business.
- Designs installation instructions and procedures to ensure the proper use of OC products.
- Develops case studies, drop-in specifications and other technical collateral to facilitate the use of OC products.
- Established eligibility of OC products in suitable applications to ensure continued revenue growth.
- Participates as a key contributor on projects that require geosynthetics expertise (i,e. new product development, enhanced product performance, growth initiatives…).
- Mitigates all risks through proper activities and communications.
Applies relevant understanding of industry and technology trends
- Partners with Intellectual Property team to understand the competitive landscape and define opportunities and/or threats.
- Spots trends and provides insight, expertise and education on technology developments and industry best practices.
- Delivers technical presentations at company meetings, technical conferences, and customer/partner facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering or related technical field with demonstrated success within geosynthetics applications. Master’s degree preferred.
- Professional Engineer’s accreditation highly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in project management
- 5+ years’ experience in engineering activity involving the usage of geosynthetics.
- Demonstrated use of engineering principles to deliver product and applications innovations
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and establish confidence with direct customers and key influencers
- Experience and understanding of the relationships between technical developments within products and applications and the marketing of these developments for competitive advantage
- Demonstrated ability to develop and meet key milestones, to work and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization, and to technically contribute to the development of solutions
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Clear understanding of technical concepts and applications, how Geosynthetics are used in the customer’s process and applications, applied technical knowledge
- Customer savvy and business acumen
- Ability to network and develop relationships in the markets we serve to assess trends and conditions, and translate these into opportunities to deliver value
- Integrity, works to high standards
- Competitive, highly motivated and results driven with a strong work ethic
- Creative, uses a wide variety of methods/techniques to solve problems
- Team player who works well in matrix organization and can act as team leader to drive complex problems to a positive outcome
- Broad operating style, ability to adapt across cultures, environments and styles
- This position requires ~30% travel, international travel is a requirement
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.