Granville, Ohio, United States
Furnace Design EngineerJob ID 53867
The successful furnace design engineer will fully own process development, innovation and advanced application of furnace design for OC glass melting systems. Design responsibilities will include refractory, steel, combustion, controls systems and safety systems for gas, all electric and oxy – fuel melters. The engineer will lead project definition with plant team, linking capital delivery, sourcing and EHS to deliver turnkey furnace systems for Owens Corning. The engineer must have an in-depth knowledge of construction, refractories, thermodynamics, energy systems along with general glass operations knowledge. This senior engineering role includes technical scope definition, cost estimating, and successful implementation of newly developed technology, rebuild upgrades, and turn key furnace rebuild projects.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 400®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Melting Science and Technology (S&T) Leader
Demonstrates a Commitment to Safety and Provides Technical Guidance for Safety:
- Utilize technical knowledge to provide safe innovative glass melting furnace solutions and designs.
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and Owens Corning corporate policies.
- Authors SOPs and JHAs for new method development, innovation trials and implementation.
- Participates in monthly safety meetings and Melting S&T Laboratory safety audits.
- Completes all required Corporate and Melting S&T safety training.
Provides Corporate Technical Innovation and Process Development Delivering Lowest All-in Manufacturing Cost Across Four Glass Business Platforms:
- Core technical focus will include the following areas; Energy Efficiency, Stability & Controls; Asset Life; Capital Efficiency; Sustainability; and Waste Elimination.
- Leads research, ideation, definition, development and industrialization effortson concepts to improve processing capabilities in these core technical areas noted above.
- Corporate expert in applying the process of glass melting from batch delivery, melting, energy application and delivery of glass at the proper temperature needed for forming.
- Corporate expert in the application of refractory materials optimizing life cycle cost & furnace life.
- Understands and optimizes existing electric melting and oxy–fuel melter designs as well as melter operating conditions, controls, sensors and process stability criteria.
- Understands and utilizes simple heat transfer investigations to determine safe operating temperatures, heat loss for delivery of glass at the proper glass temperature.
- Participates in the scope development and melting rebuild execution to ensure meeting safety, performance, schedule, cost and vertical start-up requirements.
- Process development leadership via leading strategic supplier partnerships for new refractories, controls, sensors and complete designs for furnace rebuilds.
- Works closely with Engineering to specify temperature measurement, energy measurement, new sensors and process parameters in the design process.
- Engages with and leverages engineering alliance partners to deliver complete design packages (scope, prints, 2D & 3D design capabilities, etc.).
- Understands basic heat transfer and fluid dynamics working closely with our modeling group to develop and optimize melting processes.
- Works directly with operations and plants to gain valuable operations experience spending 10-25% of time directly on operations.
- Utilizes MVE and MVP concepts enabling faster development for innovative melting process concepts and design solutions.
- Engaged to learn and develop innovative melting and process solutions for Mineral Wool plants.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Material Science, Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Technical & Applied Studies is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Desire to expand project experience beyond the furnace design area is beneficial for career growth.
- Willingness to travel up to 40% to support furnace design and operations projects.
- Minimum 5 years of experience within glass melting design and or operations.
- Fundamental understanding of glass melting process related to electrical energy introduction.
- Project management skills for scope definition, design review and implementation on multiple programs.
- Utilization of process development stage gate process, risk assessment and TPM concepts.
- Computer skills: ability to utilize OC systems and all software necessary for this role.
- Ability to engage as a team player and support others starting with safety.
- Effective verbal and written communications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Accomplishes the goals of the business; translates strategies into actionable plans; sets goals for personal accomplishment; uses measurement methods to monitor progress; quickly overcomes barriers and adapts plans to ensure goal attainment.
- Strong sense of teamwork and leadership across multi-functional areas within Advanced Manufacturing, plant furnace engineers, outside resources, contractors, vendors and suppliers.
- A balanced sense of self-confidence and an abiding respect for others. Prioritizes strong personal wellbeing to maximize and fortify his or her contribution to the business.
- Demonstrates self-awareness of one’s strengths, development needs and the impact of one’s own behavior on others and consistently takes actions to be better.
- Customer orientation: Has an external perspective and understands that all business opportunities start with knowledge of how to serve our customers.
- Innovative mindset that has researched, defined, developed and implemented new technologies.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.