Granville, Ohio, United States
InternJob ID 54389
The Modeling Center of Excellence in Advanced Manufacturing/Melting S&T guides decision within OC’s businesses by using virtual prototyping and simulation tools. Those mathematical modeling techniques and softwares allow operations troubleshooting through insights, increase safety & reduce product and process development time & costs.
Assistance is needed to support fluid, thermal and structural modeling activities of the Modeling COE.
The engineering intern is expected to work with 3-D modeling software to build geometries and meshes. He/She will prepare and run models using CFD and finite element software packages under the direction of a modeling engineer. Results will be reviewed with supervision and applied to design and operations efforts. Those initiatives will lead to the development and implementation of new settings and technologies in a production environment, reducing manufacturing costs and capital intensity for insulation & composites glass fibers, Foamglas and Mineral wool operations, and provide general support as situations arise.
Familiarity with ANSYS/Design Modeler, ANSYS/Fluent, ANSYS/Mechanical and GFM is beneficial, but candidates with background in other modeling packages will be considered.
This career opportunity is at the Owens Corning Science & Technology Center in Granville, Ohio.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Leader Modeling Technology/ Advanced Manufacturing – Granville, OH
1. Demonstrates a commitment to safety
• Implements a personal safety action plan
• Participates in regular safety meetings
• Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies
2. 2. Execute modeling & simulation projects related to design and/or performance of melting, conditioning, and process equipment/assets.
- Construct geometries and generate high quality meshes for simulation purposes
- Determine and collect relevant technical information required for modeling tasks.
- Leverage resources to efficiently prepare and process modeling data.
- Work with other modeling engineers and those responsible for supporting manufacturing operations to review and interpret simulation results, and make appropriate model adjustments accordingly.
- Develop an understanding of manufacturing operations in order to develop improved simulation methods and/or identify new concepts for improving glass melting production.
- Effectively communicate results through reports and presentations
4. 3. Effectively manage simulation data
- Utilize simulation data management methods to store, organize and share simulation data.
- Effectively compare, both qualitatively and quantitatively, simulation data to field and/or laboratory measurements/observations.
- Maintain appropriate property data.
- Technology Leadership - Strong working knowledge of engineering design, industry safety standards, and integrated system design with the ability to apply to our manufacturing processes.
- Consulting skills - Proven track record of influencing decisions and problem solving processes. Ability to understand business and economic drivers. Align goals across functional lines and organizational boundaries for execution.
- Communication - Clearly conveys relevant information and ideas with confidence and in a manner that inspires the audience. Adjusts approach to capture audience attention and ensures there is an understanding of the message. Seeks to understand others through active listening.
- Analytics - Has demonstrated experience in applying techniques that lead to foundational & data driven insights for solving problems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- The candidate must possess strong technical and analytical skills, and ideally be experienced in both thermal-fluid and structural modeling.
- The candidate must have a demonstrated and sustained track record of delivering technical insight/discovery, and successful history of leading analytically oriented technical programs that have potential to yield positive financial return.
- The candidate must also have the ability to work in a global organization, with large cross-functional teams, ensuring consistent alignment with the business strategy throughout a project. Critical skills are: balancing multiple assignments, working effectively across technology platforms and production groups, and relating technical success to business success.
- The candidate must be able to work closely with operations and plant teams. The successful candidate will help solve major problems in plant operations in the manufacturing sciences area, targeting continuous, step change and revolutionary improvement of the manufacturing line.
- The candidate must also have excellent communication skills.
- The successful candidate must study toward a B.S..degree in Mechanical, Chemical, or Materials Science Engineering (or closely related discipline) from a well-regarded institution, with a strong background in fluid mechanics, thermal sciences or structural mechanics, and with skills in computational modeling such as CFD and/or FEA.