Granville, Ohio, United States
Product EngineerJob ID 54027
The Product Engineer is key to growing Owens Corning’s and our customers’ business through driving the use and continuous development of Owens Corning’s Roofing Components product portfolio. This position plays a key role in product and process development, customer technical support, applications support and expansion, validating customer fitness for use requirements, and driving productivity within the product line.
The Product Engineer will work closely with other technical teams, manufacturing teams and business and operational managers. The Product Engineer will serve as the product technical leader for the self-adhered underlayment product line.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Roofing Components Product Engineering Lead
Span of Control: This position does not have any direct reports.
Demonstrates a commitment to safety
- Actively participates in team safety meetings, hazard identification, and training.
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
- Ensures all products and applications meet and maintain all requirements for safety and liability.
Leads all product technical requirements
- Develops a working relationship with the customer, business and manufacturing plants for the product lines of responsibility.
- Aligns customer needs with product specification, manufacturing specifications, and machine process capability.
- Develops test methods and control plans to measure product and process characteristics to align with customer needs and specifications.
- Coordinates plant trials and customer and/or field visits to understand fitness for use criteria and validate current product designs and specifications.
- Monitors and communicates market, customer, and competitive activity to the plants, S+T teams, and the business.
- Provides expertise regarding the relationship between customer needs, process opportunities, and product development opportunities.
- Develops and implements new recipes that provide step-change quality or productivity improvements for manufacturing.
Develops new synthetics materials and manufacturing capabilities
- Leads the product and relevant materials and process development portfolio for the product line(s) of responsibility.
- Personally manages and executes all line extension, customization, and other iterative development efforts.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities for improved cost or product performance from a materials perspective.
- Monitors the marketplace to identify and react to changes such as competitive activity, customer process changes, code and regulatory requirements, and the emergence of new technologies.
Executes effective project deliverables
- Manages projects that result in new or changed product performance (i,e. new product development, enhanced product performance, productivity initiatives…).
- Adheres to stage-gate activities and drives outcomes.
- Mitigates all risks through proper activities and communications.
Applies relevant understanding of industry and technology trends
- Partners with Intellectual Property team to understand the competitive landscape and define opportunities and/or threats.
- Spots trends and provides insight, expertise, and education on technology developments and industry best practices.
- Delivers technical presentations at company meetings, technical conferences, and customer/partner facilities.
Fosters sharing and a team environment.
- Teams with other professionals to share knowledge, develop, and implement ideas.
Experience and Knowledge Requirements:
- MS/PhD in Engineering, Science or BS with demonstrated process improvement success within product technical management and development.
- 5+ years of experience in product design, product line leadership, customer technical support or manufacturing technical support.
- Demonstrated use of fundamental engineering and business principles to deliver process innovations.
- Demonstrated ability to generate new and innovative product designs/improvements in continuous manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and meet key milestones, to work and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization, and to technically contribute to the development of solutions.
- Strong communication skills with demonstrated proficiency in customer and vendor management.
- Ability and desire to travel up to 50%, including internationally.
- Results Oriented - Energetic, resourceful, with strong service orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to deliver outstanding work. Never satisfied with status quo - continually striving for excellence.
- Accountability - knows what needs to be done and gets it done. Willingly takes responsibility for project outcomes as a whole; unafraid of owning the results, actions and decisions of self or organization. Committed to follow through to completion.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed. Chooses appropriate action by formulating clear decision criteria and evaluates options by considering implications and consequences. Implements decisions or initiates action within a reasonable time.
- Teamwork Oriented - Self-starter who works with minimal supervision that balances multiple assignments; works effectively across technology, marketing, and production groups to ensure project success
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.