Granville, Ohio, United States
S&T Intern 2020Job ID 53624
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY INTERN
Location: Granville, OH - US
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY INTERN
Has a plane ever flown you to your destination?
Then Owens Corning has touched your life. Our innovative products range from composites used in the aviation industry to energy-efficient insulation. As an intern in the Owens Corning Science & Technology organization, you will demonstrate your knowledge of scientific and engineering fundamentals, while learning the skills you need to build a successful career along the way. From new value initiatives to product performance improvement projects, you’ll be part of the team in an environment that makes the most of your education.
Interns in the Science & Technology organization will be offered the opportunity to demonstrate engineering and science excellence, business impact, and leadership. Interns will be assigned to high profile project teams working in areas such as: new value initiatives, new business growth initiatives and important cost reduction and product performance improvement projects. Experiences will include developmental and laboratory interface, exposure to manufacturing operations, and gaining an understanding of customer needs.
Who we are looking for?
- Demonstrated technical knowledge
- Ability to apply knowledge to solve practical problems
- Interpersonal skills that provide ability to work as part of a team
- Demonstrated oral/written communication skills
- Adaptability and flexibility to change and the ambiguity that is created by change
- Planning, organizing, and time management skills
- Experience with polymers, composite materials, metals, ceramics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, building sciences, or materials processing
- Ability to develop project plans and to lead projects
- Strong analytical, problem solving, negotiation and influencing skills
- Industrial/business experience through previous internship/co-op or direct work
- Working knowledge of materials processing or application development
The successful candidate for this position will be actively pursuing a Ph.D. or M.S. in Chemistry; Materials Science & Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Chemical Engineering; or a related science/engineering field. Students who will be entering graduate school following the internship will also be considered. The candidate also must be maintaining a GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Real work experience with challenging and meaningful assignments
- Networking opportunities and exposure to senior leadership
- Formal and informal personal and professional development activities
- Career exploration
- Project-specific training
- Accountability for work
- Competitive compensation
- Opportunity to evaluate the company for full-time employment
- “Lunch with the Leader” forums
- Project presentations to senior leadership
- Housing stipend
LOCATION OF ASSIGNMENT: Granville, Ohio (east of Columbus)
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY AT OWENS CORNING
The Science and Technology (S&T) organization includes nearly 300 scientists, technologists, and engineers in several locations worldwide, including: Granville and Tallmadge, OH; Summit, IL; Shanghai, China; Chambéry, France; and Apeldoorn, The Netherlands.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.