Granville, Ohio, United States
Sr. Design Modeling EngineerJob ID 54279
The Sr. Design and Modeling Engineer manages the development, implementation, and support of new technologies related to global advanced modeling operations throughout the Composites Solutions Business. This role will focus on composite part and system level design for static to large deformation and interface micro-mechanics/adhesion. The Senior Engineer will translate customer product, process & application needs into effective product/process specification and lead modeling projects to successfully deliver solutions.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Sr. R&D Leader
- At ALL times, alert teammates of potential safety risks and stop unsafe behavior
- Actively engage in driving a safety culture
- Implements a personal safety action plan and review with leader.
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
Finite Element Analysis to Support Customers (approximate 80%)
- Develop & Optimize fiberglass reinforced polymer (FRP) composite applications using Finite Element (FE) methods
- Create new CAD or modify existing CAD designs as per the application needs
- Develop meshing (coarse to fine as needed) to convert CAD to FE models
- Perform static and dynamic (linear + non-linear) finite element analysis of existing and new designs to meet product performance and customer requirements across all product lines
- Develop material data cards with composite products for linear/non-linear analysis
- Document analysis in detailed technical reports, presentations, and management updates
- Actively participate in global multi-disciplinary product development, process improvement, and problem-solving teams globally
- Provide technical service to allow our customers to take cost out or enhance their products and gain access to new markets.
Development and delivery of modeling technologies (approximate 20%)
- Develop linkage between micro, macro & process modeling for composites applications
- Conduct research and development work in computer modeling for use in current and future glass reinforcement solutions, enabling the company to maintain its leadership position in global markets
- Evaluate new capabilities of Artificial Intelligence for composite part design to improve productivity and reduce modeling cost.
- Understand latest modeling and material characterization tool enhancements and make improvements to current resources, including micro-mechanics, stability and durability.
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Materials Science or related field of study (PhD preferred).
- Must be fluent in performing Finite Element analysis (static & dynamic) of FRP composite material.
- Deep understanding of FRP composite structure-property relations, material behavior & failure modes under static & dynamic loading.
- Ability to create & modify CAD files from different CAD tools (Example-Solidworks). Meshing the CAD (Example- Hypermesh)- to convert to Finite Element models.
- Travel: 10-20%
- Five or more years experience in Composite modeling including laminate design and Finite Element Analysis for thermoset and thermoplastics.
- Track record of success in working with customers to design composite parts & systems
- Experience in Python scripting (Abaqus)
- Six Sigma Certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Problem solving with scientific approach
- CAD software experience, Solidworks, CATIA
- Meshing, Hypermesh (preferred), Abaqus-CAE, Ansys-Meshing
- Finite Element software for part & system level design/modeling, Abaqus, Ansys, Digimat, MoldFlow, Moldex3D, Multimechanics
- Project management experience
- Strong technical documentation skills
- Ability to work effectively as a member of an international team
- Highly motivated, self-initiating individual