Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Early Career Program - Asia Pacific Science and Technology CenterJob ID 56149
Early Career Program – Asia Pacific Science and Technology Center (2021)
The Early Career Program at Owens Corning provide an opportunity for highly skilled and motivated candidates to participate in a dynamic learning experience while contributing to our company’s change agenda: Winning with Our Customers and Growing Our People. As a program participant you will be encouraged to find innovative ways to create value while consistently improving results.
The Early Career Program - Asia Pacific Science and Technology Center (ATC) is designed to prepare engineers to serve as ATC Leaders in Owens Corning AP S&T in our Insulating Systems Business and Composites Solutions Business. The program duration is three years, with the time spent at Owens Corning’s AP Science & Technology Center at different roles. During this time, participants will be mentored by seasoned technical professionals and will be challenged by the varied technical and leadership opportunities found in the S&T environment.
As the beginning of this program, you will take the Research Technician role and your development areas include:
- Project Management
- Lab Operation Management
- Global Connection
In addition, the participant will be expected to develop the following competencies essential to being an effective S&T leader:
- Customer driven
- Analytics & data based decision making
- Works effectively and cooperatively with others
- Elevates performance of self and others
- Inspirational leadership
At the conclusion of their training, the program graduate is placed in a full-time assignment as a Product Engineer or Leader at an Owens Corning S&T team.
The Research Technician works in the Asia Pacific Science & Technology Center (ATC) – Analytical Testing Lab and has accountability for establishing test methods, preparing samples and carrying out qualitative and quantitative chemical and microscopy analyses to support the team and business in a wide range of initiatives. This includes plant support (raw material qualification, product / process based problem solving), troubleshooting and root cause finding and analysis of competitive materials. The incumbent will be a key member in a team-focused environment in which everyone works together to complete a given project.
The position reports to Analytical Testing Lab Manager.
Experience and Knowledge Requirements:
- Master degree or above in Composites related majors including chemistry/material science/high polymer materials;
- Knowledge of analytical instrumentation and methodology is highly desired especially microscopy (e.g. SEM, optical microscope), chromatograph, and thermal analysis (TGA, DSC, DMA) is preferred;
- Project and lab management experience is preferred;
- Travel Requirement: 5- 10% for supplier visits, training.
- Teamwork Oriented - Self-starter who works with minimal supervision that balances multiple assignments; works effectively across technology, marketing, and production groups to ensure project success;
- Results Oriented. Energetic, resourceful, with strong service orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to deliver outstanding work. Never satisfied with status quo -- continually striving for excellence;
- Customer Driven: Always honors promises and treats customers the way they deserve to be treated, regardless of market conditions; and causes a brand experience that emotionally connects customers to our company;
- Adaptability - ability to respond quickly to the demands of the moment. A flexible person who can stay productive when the demands of work pull in many different directions at once. Maintaining effectiveness in a variety of environments.
- Demonstrates a commitment to safety
- Establishes a safe work environment and ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and Owens Corning’s corporate policies.
- Participate in regular safety meetings
- Zero accidents / injuries
- Good 5S
- High IP protection sense
- Contributes to a world class analytical laboratory
- Apply analytical testing methodology best practices as shared by regional labs across Owens Corning
- Follows appropriate testing methodologies and ensure accuracy of results and reports
- Ensure procedures are being implemented with scientific and technical quality of the lab at a world-class level.
- Fully understands customer requirements and needs for the improvement/development of materials or systems to increase customer satisfaction.
- Lab certification
- Achieves assignment deliverables on time
3. Supports analytical laboratory testing to fulfill business needs and priorities
- Carry out routine and non-routine organic analytical test protocols. This includes everything from sample preparation to data collection, data interpretation and written documentation of analytical results.
- Use analytical instrumentation to conduct routine tests required for composites materials: microscopy (e.g. SEM, optical microscope), spectroscopy, chromatography, and thermal analysis.
- Conduct various wet chemistry methods (e.g. viscosity measurements of raw materials used in our sizes, acid / base titrations on lubricants, epoxy equivalent weight for epoxy resins and the determination of hydroxyl numbers for polyols).
- Perform separation and identification of components in complex organic mixtures. (Extract size chemistries off of a fiberglass product and then characterize the resulting material). This includes deformulation of various polymer systems- for next generation product & process development work as well as competitive analyses.
- Fulfill Quality Requirements and Standards
- Provide troubleshooting resolution for customer reference