Houston, Texas, United States
Entry Level OperatorJob ID 54734
Entry Level Operator
Job Title: Entry Level Operator
Reports to: Front Line Leader; Operations Leader
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This person is a member of a production crew that operates two production lines. You will work with your shift to safely produce high quality product in a fast pace continuous operation environment. Expectations for an Entry Level position include cleaning, painting, general plant labor, covering employee vacations/call outs, and the ability to train up to a Level 1, Level 2, or Level 3 Operator.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Plant and Environmental Safety
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements. Safety is a condition of employment.
- Take personal ownership to work safely and hold other team members to the same high standards of safety
- Notify supervisor immediately of any accident, near miss or on- the -job injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Participates in the safety, quality, autonomous maintenance, TPM and housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Focused Improvement Events, Safety Committee, Training, etc.
- Performs job tasks to reduce environmental impact and adheres to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste disposal.
- Complies with all plant rules and safety regulations.
- Performs cleanup duties at workstations and/or equipment/machinery.
- Communicates safety concerns and/or equipment problems/abnormalities to appropriate personnel, maintaining strong communication with the appropriate line section operators to ensure immediate action is taken for product out of spec.
- Inspect vehicles before use and throughout shift, keeping all equipment clean and operational.
- Participates in plant TPM initiatives - completing activities associated with TPM tasks (adheres to CILT standard, 5S).
- Continues to use TPM methodology to gain a better understanding of the equipment.
- Identifies and participates proactively in learning opportunities and develops expertise in those areas.
- Utilizes Focus Improvement tools to problem solve.
- Works to achieve zero injuries, zero defects and zero losses.
- During PM days, uses time effectively to bring equipment to optimal condition for zero losses.
- Maintain DM and Step Boards.
- Perform quality checks (length, silicone transfers, thickness, widths, telescoping, weight, bonds)
- Interface with plant employees to provide quality control information
- Monitor and report unusual or suspect material issues
- Communicate with the coater end when non-standard material reaches front end
- Communicate with back-end operators about quality issues
- Verify that finished product meets visual standards while winding
- Perform wrapper quality checks at specified intervals
- Ensure proper application of poly, UPC labels, and printing to each bundle
- Understand and react to upset conditions
- Fill in for any overtime needs that you are qualified for
- Ability to learn production positions
- Assist shift mechanics as needed
- Cover all front-end employee outages (to cover breaks, vacation, holiday, call-offs, etc.)
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate.
- Support the training and development of colleagues.
- Demonstrates flexibility to changing priorities as business needs dictate.
- Identifies and participates proactively in learning opportunities, and develops expertise in those areas.
- Follows standard operating procedures and processes.
- Can and is willing to make decisions. Knows the chain of command to get support.
- Regular Attendance on site and the ability to rotate varying shifts.
- All other duties as assigned or needed.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated desire to impact safety
- Must be able to work independently or in a team atmosphere with minimal direct supervision
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude and the ability to troubleshoot
- High attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Basic mathematics skills
- Able to effectively communicate (read, write, speak, understand) English
The employee must be able to:
- Work with a computer to perform basic data entry
- Demonstrate basic computer skills such as Microsoft Outlook, IVC and SAP.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent required.
- Manufacturing or process related experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must remain drug free
- Exposure to dust/dirt/fumes/fiberglass
- Ability to work in wet environments: including head and feet
- Industrial manufacturing environment with extreme temperature variation
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable (hearing protection is provided)
- Ability to wear applicable PPE for up to 12 hours
- Ability to distinguish colors and shading
- Ability to become certified to operate a forklift
- Prolonged sitting, standing, or walking for 8 – 12 hour shifts
- Bending and twisting; repetitive movements
- Able to do repetitive hand, arm, leg movements for up to 12 hours
- Must be able to squat, bend at the waist and knees freely
- Be able to climb up to three floors or stairs, use full upper body movement for process; stand up to 12 hours with breaks
- Ability to work from heights
- Lift, push and pull 40lbs.repetitively
- Handle, control, feed, or feel objects, tools or product
- Must be able to work flexible rotating shift schedules – mandatory overtime as required
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.