Houston, Texas, United States
Lift Truck Operator ShippingJob ID 54736
Job Title: Forklift Operator
Reports to: Supply Chain Leader
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The purpose of the Shipping forklift operator is to ensure all finished material is counted and placed in its proper location for storage. The forklift driver is also responsible for loading or unloading all freight in compliance with safety and operating procedures accurately and efficiently.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Plant and Environmental Safety
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements. Safety is a condition of employment.
- Take personal ownership to work safely and hold other team members to the same high standards of safety
- Notify supervisor immediately of any accident, near miss or on- the -job injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Participates in the safety, quality, autonomous maintenance, TPM and housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Focused Improvement Events, Safety Committee, Training, etc.
- Performs job tasks to reduce environmental impact and adheres to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste disposal.
- Complies with all plant rules and safety regulations.
- Performs cleanup duties at workstations and/or equipment/machinery.
- Communicates safety concerns and/or equipment problems/abnormalities to appropriate personnel, maintaining strong communication with the appropriate line section operators to ensure immediate action is taken for product out of spec.
- Inspect vehicles before use and throughout shift, keeping all equipment clean and operational.
- Participates in plant TPM initiatives - completing activities associated with TPM tasks (adheres to CILT standard, 5S).
- Continues to use TPM methodology to gain a better understanding of the equipment.
- Identifies and participates proactively in learning opportunities and develops expertise in those areas.
- Utilizes Focus Improvement tools to problem solve.
- Works to achieve zero injuries, zero defects and zero losses.
- During PM days, uses time effectively to bring equipment to optimal condition for zero losses.
- Maintain DM and Step Boards.
- Load and unload finished products and any related raw materials following proper procedures
- Knowledge of warehouse storage areas and location of all products including samples and accessory items
- Operate lift truck in a safe, productive manner in accordance with all OC procedures
- Cross check count of finished materials with the Team Leader
- Use forklift to store finished material in the proper location
- Fill out daily checklist for forklift
- Daily PMs done in first hour of shift
- Replace LP tanks as needed following all safety procedures
- Maintain housekeeping in shipping, warehouse and the yard including daily cleaning of the forklifts
- Perform cycle counts as requested
- Complete all required paperwork for carriers and file in the shipping department
- Monitor inventories and turn over in timely manner
- Perform daily tasks following all guidelines as set in regarding to locking out and loading of trucks
- Keep work area clean
- Ensure that the gate is closed and locked at the end of each shift
- Be able to complete paperwork using the SAP and IVC system if so trained to do so
- File appropriate paperwork
- Ensure the gate is closed and locked at the end of each shift
- Ensure all finished material is counted and then placed in its proper location for storage
- Ensure all bulk materials are received from vendors and carriers in a safe and efficient manner and make sure inventories are in place to operate the plant
- Avoid any problems leading to scrap or seconds
- Notify Supply Chain Leader or FLL of equipment problems requiring work orders – and if so trained generate work orders
- Follow up on work orders
- Use down time to clean and organize Shipping area
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate.
- Support the training and development of colleagues.
- Demonstrates flexibility to changing priorities as business needs dictate.
- Identifies and participates proactively in learning opportunities, and develops expertise in those areas.
- Follows standard operating procedures and processes.
- Can and is willing to make decisions. Knows the chain of command to get support.
- Regular Attendance on site and the ability to rotate varying shifts.
- All other duties as assigned or needed.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated desire to impact safety
- Must be able to work independently or in a team atmosphere with minimal direct supervision
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude and the ability to troubleshoot
- High attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Basic mathematics skills
- Able to effectively communicate (read, write, speak, understand) English
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Work with a computer to perform basic data entry
- Demonstrate basic computer skills such as Microsoft Outlook, IVC and SAP
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent required
- Manufacturing or process related experience preferred
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must remain drug free
- Exposure to dust/dirt/fumes/fiberglass
- Ability to work in wet environments: including head and feet
- Industrial manufacturing environment with extreme temperature variation
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable (hearing protection is provided)
- Ability to wear applicable PPE for up to 12 hours
- Ability to distinguish colors and shading
- Ability to become certified to operate a forklift
- Prolonged sitting, standing, or walking for 8 – 12 hour shifts
- Bending and twisting; repetitive movements
- Able to do repetitive hand, arm, leg movements for up to 12 hours
- Must be able to squat, bend at the waist and knees freely
- Be able to climb up to three floors or stairs, use full upper body movement for process; stand up to 12 hours with breaks
- Ability to work from heights
- Lift, push and pull 40lbs.repetitively
- Handle, control, feed, or feel objects, tools or product
- Must be able to work flexible rotating shift schedules – mandatory overtime as required
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.