Houston, Texas, United States
Shift Quality TechnicianJob ID 54735
Shift Quality Technician
Job Title: Shift Quality Technician
Reports to: Front Line Leader/Tech Leader
FLSA Status: Primary Hourly, Non-Exempt
The Operation Quality Assurance Technician position is an hourly position, and reports to the Production Front Line Leader(Primary) and the Tech Leader(Secondary). The employee is responsible for raw material, finished goods, and audit testing for the Houston Roofing Plant.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow and enforce all safety rules and procedures, training, and initiatives
- Conduct monthly BBS observations and safety card. Perform corrective action as needed
- Maintain Lab cleanliness
- Maintain an injury free QA Department as well as plant
- Perform all product/Raw material Testing
- Monitor and report unusual or suspect material issues. Place on Hold if needed.
- Understands Control and Reaction procedures and aids operations personnel in resolving quality issues and concerns.
- Performs pre-work and leads Monthly Quality audits.
- Leads at least 1 quality improvement initiative per year.
- Review quality complaints with leadership and shift operators to resolve future issues.
- Be able to visit complaints and evaluate customers concerns. Complete a trip report detailing issues.
- Perform all shift raw material testing and daily product testing as required by Tech Leader
- Maintain 100% compliance on all calibrations for testing equipment in labs and on production line.
- Assist and be able to evaluate customer complaints both in house and outside in the field.
- Ensure all UL standards are met. Handle meetings and testing done with UL inspectors as needed.
- Do daily quality reporting and charts for meetings. This will include but is not limited to scrubs, weights, tears, filler burns, shears, and any others as directed by the Tech Leader.
- Do daily weight calibrations and adjust scanner as needed.
- Do daily filler burns to ensure filler % compliance.
- Understand all aspects of a shingle or rolls and how they are manufactured
- Maintain morale among employees on shift.
- Visibly verify completion and submission of all operator paperwork
- Participate on and be a resource for TPM teams
- Train and certify all new/transferred employees on quality testing and defective shingles
- Participate in Lean initiatives/events
- Maintain and clean the printing system and labeling equipment
- Inspect and assist operations with calibration and maintenance of the blender.
- Assist with weekly clean up.
- Maintain 5S in all labs
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English (Bilingual a Plus)
- Must have the ability to do mathematical calculations
- Must be able to work at a reasonably fast pace and be self motivated/directed
- Regular attendance, timeliness, and scheduling flexibility are required
- Possess thorough knowledge of the entire production department
- Mechanically inclined
- Understand and lead Root Cause Analysis on process issues
- Be able to lead teams, meeting, and the shift
- High level of Attention to Detail
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
- Must be able to work with a computer and have the ability to work in SAP, POP, Excel, Word, Power point, AQ, and have some knowledge on how to use Visio.
- Ability to learn SQL-based databases, Allen Bradley PLC hardware and software.
- Ability to learn site-specific PC controlled equipment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent
- Two-year Associates degree in a technical field (Data Acquisition, engineering, process operations, ect.) or on the job experience in the production area of a continuous manufacturing facility.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.