Joplin, Missouri, United States
Heavy Equipment OperatorJob ID 53745
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Heavy Equipment Operator is responsible for operating heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner and unloading and storing raw materials. Heavy equipment may include trucks, front-end loaders, dozers, graders, compactors, snow blowers and other pieces of equipment. The Heavy Equipment Operator must also clean, maintain and secure all equipment as required.
Reports to: The Heavy Equipment Operator is an hourly position reporting to the Shift Lead and Plant Controller.
- Follows all Owens Corning safety policies and procedures
- Know plant EPA goals or requirements and insures goals are met on a daily basis
- Observes the Dry Emissions Precipitator Transfer System (Dust Collector System) by monitoring computer screens
- Educate workers on exercising caution to avoid accidents and prevent injuries
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area by ensuring that floors are clean and organized appropriately
- Assist in developing SOPs and handle reviews of manufacturing batch records
- Position automated conveyors for selection of proper storage bins
- Operates the Batch House Computer system, the control room panel and alarm panel.
- Be capable of identifying the different raw materials and report potential quality problems with raw materials received (i.e. excess iron in slag, abnormal sizing of raw materials, excessive fines, etc.)
- Monitor holding capacity of bins to insure uninterrupted plant operation
- Takes railroad car inventories and reports and records inventory
- Haul raw material to and from storage areas. Requires knowing how to safely operate mobile equipment such as the dump truck and all front-end loaders
- Reports any problems to appropriate personnel and carries out emergency procedures
- Performs other tasks and duties within scope as necessary and in agreement with the lead
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Prior experience with operating heavy equipment required
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience and/or training in an industrial/manufacturing environment highly preferred.
- Two year Associates degree in technical related field highly preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Six Sigma, TPM, and 5S practices
- Willingness to support training and cross-functional efforts
- Must have the ability to train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen and high mechanical aptitude
- Must be able to secure and maintain job related qualifications and certifications as required by the nature of this position
- Possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong internal and external customer service skills
- Work well in team environment
- Work independently
- Basic mathematical calculations and measurements
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Pass drug screen prior to employment
- Acceptable background/DMV check
- Pass pre-employment physical
- Pass Work Keys assessment NCRC+
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Non-Rotating shifts – 12 hour
- Stand for extended prolonged periods during 12 hour shift
- Work overtime as needed
- Meet the physical demands of the work environment
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.