Joplin, Missouri, United States
Materials Handling TechnicianJob ID 53868
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Materials Handling Technician works as a team member and performs any duty related to load, unload, and transport finished goods and in-process products to and from warehouse and Production line. Unloads, receives, transports and stores materials, verifies shipments against orders, operates recording equipment, utilizes SAP, provides lift truck support throughout the plant supplies and equipment in receiving sections, storeroom or warehouse locations as directed. Prepares truckloads of finished goods for shipment. Takes inventory of Raw materials as well as Finished Goods. Performs general housekeeping and participates in downtime cleaning activities, etc. At the same time, will be trained and required to assist other plants areas when is needed.
- Ensure that department and Owens Corning safety rules are being communicated and followed, including PPE usage and loading practices.
- Know plant EPA goals or requirements and insures goals are met on a daily basis.
- Maintain a general housekeeping schedule in accordance with plant standard 5S protocol with responsibilities to ensure cleaning throughout the shift; maintain a safe work environment
- Read, understand and follow all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's)
- Responsible/accountable for the safe operation of a forklift for the purposes of moving, locating, relocating, stacking and inventorying of material
- Complete a forklift inspection at the beginning of each shift and turn in paperwork to warehouse office
- Receive all shuttles that come from the outside warehouse and store in the precursor, wet chop, or Slitter area
- Move all material to the HOLD/REWORK area as needed and place all material needing to be re-wrapped in the WRAP area
- Unload any returns that come back to the plant and ensure Warehouse or Team Lead receives paperwork
- Inspect trailers and complete trailer inspection sheets for every load
- Clean and sweep trailers as needed to ensure product is not damaged when loaded for shipping or in transit
- Cycle count all finished goods and WIP
- Consolidate like material as needed
- Check Warehouse equipment is properly charged and ready to be used each day.
- Use SAP as needed
- Responsible for loading/unloading shipments safely
- Responsible for pulling/preparing customer orders with 100% accuracy for quantity and type of product
- Performs picking duties in an efficient and safe manner that meets or exceeds customer service standards
- Minimize process downtime
- Participate on continuous improvement work groups
- Support trials
- Use general tools (not requiring specialized training) as needed to perform the job
- Help identify process problems and seek solutions
- Maintain effective communication
- Maintain logs as required
- Assist in resolving supplier and customer complaints by providing relevant information
- Participate in shift huddles and meetings as required
- Other activities as may be assigned in order to maintain production requirements of the department or plant. Work assignments will be made at the discretion of management.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or be authorized to work in the US
- Previous Warehouse experience preferred
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience and/or training in an industrial/manufacturing environment preferred
- Experience operating powered industrial equipment such as forklift, Bobcat, overhead cranes, and hoists highly preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Champion of Wellness, Six Sigma, TPM, and 5S practices
- Willingness to support training and cross-functional efforts
- Knowledge of MS Office products (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) Knowledge of SAP preferred
- Must have the ability to train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen and high mechanical aptitude
- Must be able to secure and maintain job related qualifications and certifications as required by the nature of this position
- Possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong internal and external customer service skills
- Work well in team environment and work independently as needed
- Basic mathematical calculations and measurements
- Must maintain schedule flexibility to ensure smooth production
- Pass drug screen prior to employment
- Acceptable background check
- Pass pre-employment physical abilities tests
- Pass NCRC Plus certification
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Non-Rotating shifts – 12 hour
- Stand for extended prolonged periods during 12 hour shift
- Work overtime as needed
- Meet the physical demands of the work environment
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2017 sales of $6.4 billion and employs 19,000 people in 37 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.