Kansas City, Kansas, United States
Warehouse/Forklift OperatorJob ID 58913
Job Title: Warehouse/Forklift Operator
Reports to: Warehouse Supervisor
Supervises: Not Applicable
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Performs the role of process expert for the warehousing process which includes, but is not limited to, the unloading, storage, loading and transporting of materials and finished goods, maintaining accurate records and inventory security. They will facilitate customer satisfaction by operating equipment and meeting process needs in a safe and timely manner to achieve delivery commitments.
Visually inspects materials, products tools and equipment for quality problems and responds to same according to corrective procedures.
Uses tools and equipment as needed to painting and striping as required in the areas of Distribution and Stores.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in the safety and good housekeeping programs as established within the plant.
- Adheres to rules and regulations, both internal and external, relative to environmental stewardship as well as responding to environmental emergencies in a safe and timely manner.
- Operates material handling equipment and/or manually transports, loads, stores, re-stacks and consolidates finished goods for warehousing, fabricating and shipping.
- Performs operator inspection of material handling equipment on each shift; checks fluid levels and various material handling equipment systems for malfunctions; replenishes fuel supply. Completes daily vehicle inspection forms.
- Completes records and reports (including, but not limited to, load tickets, tallies, storing sheets, etc.).
- Visually inspects and prepares rail cars and trucks prior to loading. Loads materials according to predetermined load patterns. Ensures correct products and quantities are loads; closes and seals rail cars. Assigns seals and places seals and packing slip in trailer.
- Visually inspects materials prior to loading for quality, packaging, product codes, etc. Sets aside any damaged or off-quality materials.
- Assists with physical inventories and bay audits as assigned.
- Activates on-board terminal for work assignment; reacts to on screen instructions and inputs responses.
- Chocks truck wheels and positions dock levelers or ramps.
- Stores in-process materials in designated areas as required.
- Inspects and classifies rail cars and vans prior to loading. Insures safety regulations are met and that proper load patterns are utilized.
- Inspects fire extinguishers in warehouse and shipping areas (including, but not limited to, mounted units, emergency truck extinguishers, etc.).
- Inspects and insures the completion of their work through out the company area.
- Operates material handling and other equipment.
- Initiates requisitions and insures that equipment and/or material necessary for the completion of the assigned tasks is available. Works with management in initiating new equipment requisitions.
- Operates vehicles (including, but not limited to, forklift, tractor, street sweeper, truck, cherry picker, scissors lift, etc.).
- Notifies the appropriate personnel of any faulty operation or needed repairs accidents, breakdowns, delays or other problems affecting the completion of assigned tasks.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Must have the ability to multi-task
- Must work well in team environment
- Must have to ability to do basic mathematical calculations
- Must be able to secure and maintain fork lift drivers license
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Operate a computer
- Learn how to operate the forklift on-board computer system
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Must have Kansas Work Ready Certificate
- Possess valid forklift driver certification
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be drug and alcohol free
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position requires:
- Exposure to temperature extremes
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable
- Prolonged sitting or standing for 8 hour shifts (and/or rotating shifts)
- Handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls
- Lifting/carrying/moving up to 50 pounds
- Regular attendance on site and the ability to work varying or rotating shifts
- Participates in the Safety and good housekeeping programs as established within the Plant
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.