Kearny, New Jersey, United States
Plant LeaderJob ID 53896
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Plant Leader is accountable for leading business change, ensuring continuous growth and development within the roofing and asphalt facilities. Fostering a one-site mentality that promotes mutual success and goal attainment.
The Plant Leader is expected to lead from an outside in perspective providing vision, strategy and leadership to achieve and maintain the highest standards of safety, environmental stewardship, quality, customer satisfaction, cost and creating an inclusive environment for talent to grow and develop.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Cultivates a customer-focused culture.
- Sets strategic direction to ensure exceptional operational performance for the site.
- Sets clear and measurable performance expectations, in line with division and corporate goals and is able to effectively communicate and drive these expectations to their team.
- Increases the value of the enterprise by identifying and eliminating waste to improve productivity.
- Demonstrates commitment for building a work environment that nurtures and facilitates open communication, employee engagement and diversity.
- Attracts, develops and retains top talent.
- Leads with a clear view of where the organization needs to be in 1-3 years and consistently delivers day-to-day results to achieve that view.
- Adapts to a changing business climate and business/cultural differences ensuring positive results are delivered.
- Responsibility for the development and execution of the Plant’s Business Strategy including the determination of the Key Performance Indicators for all individuals in the facility. Driving initiatives of Safety, Quality, Talent Development, Productivity and Waste Elimination, TPM and Customer Service.
- Leads and appropriately resources safety, quality, autonomous maintenance, TPM and housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Focused Improvement Events, Safety Committee, etc.
- Heads up the plant leadership team - setting the goals, objectives and strategy for both the roofing and asphalt facilities.
Safety, Health and Wellness:
- Creates a culture of safety and health throughout the site.
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements.
- Takes personal ownership to work safely each and every day and hold other team members to the same high standards of safety.
- Assists the EHS Leader in reporting and investigation of any accident, near miss, or on the job injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Reduces the environmental impact and adheres to 100% compliance on environmental regulations site wide.
- Assist the HR Leader and Wellness Team to drive the Owens Corning Wellness Initiatives through actions and business accommodations including budgeting accordingly for wellness activities and events.
- Leads by example and enforces all plant rules and safety regulations.
- Working safely is a condition of employment.
- Develops the Plant’s TPM Mission and Vision.
- Supports the Asphalt Plant Leader in driving TPM throughout the asphalt plant.
- Leads all plant TPM initiatives.
- Continues to use TPM methodology to gain a better understanding of the equipment/process.
- Identifies and participates proactively in learning opportunities and develops expertise in those areas.
- Utilizes Focus Improvement tools to problem solve.
- Works to achieve zero injuries, zero defects and zero losses.
- Provides effective vision, leadership and direction to the site.
- Engages employees. Creating a work environment in which employees become compelled to commit to their organization and its bottom line and feel pride and job ownership.
- Ensures effective deployment of employee relations practices.
- Continues effective labor relations in those facilities with union representation.
- Cultivates a customer-focused culture. Creates an environment in which products and processes are designed to ensure customer satisfaction; effectively incorporates customer perspectives in all business activities.
- Controls/Reduces Operating Cost. Identifies and seizes opportunities to create efficiencies, streamline processes, and leverage resources in order to reduce cost.
- Increases Revenue Production. Builds and drives sustained revenue growth.
- Drives the business toward product and service quality.
- Supports the Asphalt Plant Leader in overseeing operations, financial oversite and customer relations for the asphalt facility.
- Operates with a one-site mentality, encouraging shared successes and goal attainment.
Leading and Developing Talent:
- Creates and sustains a culture where talent is developed through effective performance management and talent evaluation.
- Effectively staffs the organization with competent people using the appropriate mix of internal and external talent to satisfy both near-term and long-term succession needs.
- Invests in the growth and development of talent. Creates and fosters a pipeline of talent.
- Effective at giving actionable feedback.
- Identifies and addresses opportunities in skills development of direct reports.
- Leads through integrity, humility with fun and candor. A strong mindset of organizational stewardship with a curiosity mindset.
- Strong intellect with ability to combine analytical reasoning, creativity and judgment. Quick study, able to create change and handle complex matters with multiple initiatives going on simultaneously. Able to deal effectively with strategic issues as well as tactical operational details.
- Customer orientation. Has an external perspective and understanding that all business opportunities start with knowledge of how to create value for the customer.
- Establishes courses of action. Accomplishes the goals of the business; translates strategies into actionable operating plans; sets goals for personal and team accomplishment; uses measurement methods to monitor progress; quickly overcomes barriers and adapts plans to ensure goal attainment.
- Attracts the best talent. Knows and grows others. Able to build a robust, flexible pipeline of extraordinary talent to drive current and future demands of the business. Generates actions and leverages resources that result in retention of talented employees.
- Creates a vivid picture that connects to employees, customers and partners about winning and doing what it takes to win. Exudes energy that is contagious and instills in others a passion to excel and the confidence to achieve more than is believed possible. Has the ability to adapt to different personalities and can effectively lead for the best outcomes.
- Sets goals for organizational and personal accomplishment and ensures employees always know what’s expected of them, how they are performing, and how their performance impacts business results and determines their reward and recognition.
- Demonstrates a strong self-awareness of one’s strengths, development needs and the impact of one’s own behavior on others; and consistently takes actions to be better.
- Puts needs of the business ahead of him/herself. Operates in a transparent fashion without a personal agenda. Possesses a well-developed sense of humor.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in engineering, business or a related field.
- Minimum 7-10 years of related plant management or manufacturing experience.
- Experience in a continuous manufacturing process environment a plus
- Demonstrated experience managing a group of over 60 employees, in a 24-hour operation in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong leadership, communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated results in managing culture change and driving a culture of customer focus.
- Demonstrated continuous improvement implementation and leadership skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Ability to train and coach others
- Must have strong process acumen
Computer and Software Competencies:
The employee must be able to:
- Proficient with MS Office Suite; Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with an ERP system, SAP experience is an asset.
Essential Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Be exposed to temperature extremes
- Be exposed to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable
- Be exposed to asphalt smells
- Able to wear applicable PPE for 12 hours
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.