Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Licensed Boiler OperatorJob ID 54970
The Asphalt Plant Operator is responsible and accountable for everything that goes on his/her shift of operation. This includes but limited to safety, quality, and productivity during the transfer, blending, processing, and shipment of asphalt products. Operators make critical decisions during his/her shift to insure that customer shipments are on time, within the customer’s specifications, and at the correct temperature. The operator is responsible for communicating critical information concerning environmental compliance, homeland security, and operational issues to the designated associate
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Blend and process asphalt products in compliance within specifications
- Perform quality test to include but not limited to (melting points, flashes, penetrations, DSR, viscosities, stain tests and use all equipment in the laboratory.
- Must check pass down log, e-mail, and production board, for critical information daily.
- Make sure that all products leaving the plant are inspected, on time, at correct temperature, and correct quantity
- Must make frequent trips around the facility checking valves for proper positions, leaks in tanks, tank temperatures, and any foreign objects
- Must be able to climb ladders and work at elevated heights.
- Complete reports and transactions required to document quality, shipments, environmental compliance, shift production and/or activity that occurred during the operator’s shift using SAP, Excel, and Word software programs.
- Must communicate daily orally and/or written at shift change and with Plant leadership and support team.
- Must perform routine maintenance and inspections on the boiler (blow down, water softener, etc.)
- Must be capable understanding and following oral and written communication instructions
- Must be capable of making equipment adjustments with and without tools as needed for continuous operation of the facility
- The operator must be capable and willing to help assistant operator with his/her duties as necessary to meet the customer expectations. This includes loading and unloading bulk trucks and unloading railcars, ships, and barges.
- Must complete housekeeping assignments as required (breakroom, locker room, and in the plant)
- Must be capable of working alone or with minimum supervision
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Basic knowledge of mathematics (add/subtract/multiply/divide/fractions
- Good oral and written communications skills.
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Basic computer knowledge and skills (SAP, Word, Excel, etc)
EDUCATION AND/OR REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or general education (GED)
- One to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1st Class Steam Engineer License from Shelby County Code Construction Office preferred, 3rd Class required
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Vision: Must be capable of reading letters and numbers and have good color perception.
- Range of Motion: Full, some bending, lifting, and standing for an 8-12 hour period.
- Lifting Capacity: Must be capable of lifting a minimum of 40 pounds chest-high.
- Sitting/Standing/Climbing: Standing for 12 hours daily and moving up and down stairs.
The incumbent may work in dusty, dirty, hot, wet conditions, or at elevated heights. The job requires stamina, because the employee stands most of the day and, at times, may need to move moderately heavy cartons/cans of asphalt. The incumbent is exposed to hazards such as hot equipment, product, and fumes. He/she may work in awkward a position which exposes them to additional hazards. They are required to use protective equipment such as safety shields, safety glasses, steel-tipped shoes, gloves, and other PPE.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products, manufacturing technologies, and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2019 sales of $7.2 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 65 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.