Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Production SupervisorJob ID 54989
The purpose of the Production Supervisor role is to ensure an efficient day to day operation of a manufacturing shift of highly engaged personnel. This role is responsible for developing and maintaining an energized environment, where employees work together to safely produce quality products that meet or exceed our customer’s requirements and to maximize company growth and earnings.
Reports to: Operations Leader
Span of Control: Approximately 16 employees
Accountable for employee safety
- Models the appropriate safe work practices and prioritizes safety above all other metrics.
- Keeps the team focused on safe work behaviors, holding employees and peers accountable for working safely. Maintain active engagement in safety initiatives to maintain a zero-incident culture.
- Provides appropriate resources to ensure a fully engaged and incident-free operation.
- Ensures the plant is always in a clean, customer tour-ready state; owns a plan that identified hazards, including housekeeping issues, resolves and sustains the plan in an ongoing fashion.
- Ensures the safe manufacture of a quality product in accordance with schedule requirements.
Align with the Roofing and Asphalt business goals
- Develops and achieves personal objectives that stretch self and align to the Department, Plant, Division, and Company goals.
- Success will be measured by the Production Supervisor’s ability to coordinate with peer group to collectively achieve operational excellence in safety, quality, cost control, inclusion, engagement, inter-department cohesion, and compliance.
- Is a positive change agent encouraging and closely involved in Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) efforts to ensure shift culture mirrors initiatives.
- Assists in developing their staff understanding of the equipment, process, and the effects of their actions up and downstream to their area. Ensures a macro and micro level understanding of the plant processes and the relation to the individual work area.
- Manages and assists with the succession planning processes for the shift. Perform and ensure proper documentation of training and cross-training of all employees as necessary to maintain a flexible work environment capable of meeting varied demands.
Demonstrate the commitment to build an exceptional workplace environment; fostering open communication, employee engagement, and inclusion
- Actively manages the continued training, development, and growth of all personnel.
- Provides daily management of timekeeping systems to ensure payroll accuracy is maintained.
- Encourages a culture of data driven decision making.
- Sets clear expectations of performance and establishes, communicates, and regularly reviews commitments to make certain milestones are achieved as planned. Ensures compliance with the plant’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Provides daily management of production data recording systems (e.g. SAP, POP, etc.) to ensure accurate inventory and reporting. Audits daily to ensure data accuracy of all inputs (e.g. check sheets, layered process audits, computer inputs, etc.).
- Maintains professional and motivating communication skills. Encourage all employees to build strong working relationships and communication through sharing, respect, candor, integrity, innovation, accountability, and fun.
Understand product quality; Use people and systems to drive improved productivity
- Prepare for and lead pre-shift huddle to cover important and relevant topics including safety, quality, and performance.
- Reviews all Product Characteristic test results each shift with operators and ensures corrective actions are taken as needed.
- Reviews all machine Critical Process Variables (CPVs) each shift with operators and ensures all CPV’s are within control.
- Ensures maintenance crafts are supporting operations, provides aid, as needed, and inputs maintenance work requests as needed.
- Ensures all production process equipment is operating and ensures appropriate personnel are addressing process equipment deficiencies.
- Coordinates and facilitates produce job/style changes to meet the production schedule and customer expectations. Verifies machines are set up correctly via sign off.
- Audits shift team job functions to ensure compliance to Standardized Work Instructions and maintain record of findings.
- Ensures hold material is segregated, retested, released, or scrapped as directed.
- Maintains all implemented 5S improvements and ensures housekeeping expectations.
- Track employee attendance and implement corrective actions as required.
- Monitor and enforce all Plant and Company policies and procedures. Implements and documents correction actions as needed.
- Good understanding of manufacturing processes and the ability to apply the principals of Lean Manufacturing
- Effective interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication, listening, coaching, delegation, and conflict management and resolution
- Ability to make critical decisions and take decisive action in a timely manner
- Capacity to work independently and within a team-oriented environment
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills
A strong candidate must be able to:
- Utilize basic computer skills; ability to work in SAP, POP, Excel, PowerPoint, and Kronos
- Log into and navigate Owens Corning Learning portal to complete required online training routinely
- Completed High School Diploma or GED required; Bachelor’s Degree is strongly preferred
- Experience directly leading people in an industrial manufacturing or maintenance operations union environment is strongly preferred
A strong candidate should possess the ability to:
- Ability to routinely lift up to 50 lbs without assistance
- Ability to routinely lift up to 80 lbs with assistance
- Work for up to 12 hours in extreme hot/cold manufacturing environment
- Operate/sit/drive, as required during shift work lasting up to 12 hours.
- Routinely ascend and descend stairs and forklift to enter work areas
- Safeguard self with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – steel toed shoes, ear plugs, eye protection (glasses, goggles, and/or facemask) as necessary for task
- Schedule flexibility as needed to accommodate operation need
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products, manufacturing technologies, and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2019 sales of $7.2 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 65 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.