Elmhurst, New York, United States
Sales Engineer, Commercial FoamglasJob ID 54009
The Owens Corning Building Insulation sales organization is seeking a Sales Engineer (Area Sales Manager, Commercial FOAMGLAS). This position is accountable to first create market awareness, identify jobs, and then drive profitable sales growth for our customers and Owens Corning by providing customer inspired solutions while executing on Owens Corning sales and marketing initiatives for the Northeast region, specifically NYC.
The Sales Engineer must establish relationships with architects, engineers, owners, consultants, contractors and distributors in the territory. Seeking out projects where FOAMGLAS provides value, commercial roofing, building science, financial business acumen and the ability to develop industry / market knowledge and opportunity analyses are critical to help our customers be successful.
The Sales Engineer has accountability to work at all stages of the design-build process to generate spec to PO sales for FOAMGLAS, with primary focus on roofing applications for buildings that require redundancy, durability and versatility for the life of the building.
Knowing Our Customers (Driving Business Growth through deep customer knowledge and market understanding)
- Continuously builds intimate insight and knowledge of the market and customers within the territory, their business, what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the differential value that our current and future products, programs and processes deliver to the customer.
- Understands what is necessary for the all key decision makers to be successful, generates measurable differential value from current and future products, programs and processes delivered to the customer.
Developing Territory Strategy
The Area Sales Manager will provide the following insights:
- An environmental analysis that includes:
- Economic impacts
- Market trends
- Competitor intelligence and strategies
- Clear needs of the customer and the customer’s strategy
- An analysis of competitors’ strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (Understanding of why the customer is buying from the competition).
- An analysis of external and execution risks and their potential impact on business segment results, including a risk mitigation plan with identified actions.
Execution – Delivering Results
The ASM will be a strong implementer of the FOAMGLAS strategy and drive actions toward meeting their goals. Specific activities include:
- Partner with major architectural and consulting firms as a valued resource for solutions on projects requiring the utmost performance.
- Delivers on the market growth plans thought executing the FOAMGLAS strategy.
- Identifies and delivers differential value for OC and our customers
- Work directly with the AEC Team, Technical Marketing, and Product Manager to leverage their expertise.
- Effectively uses CRM to capture lead activity, relationship interactions, customer requests, and sales forecasting. Thus, allowing greater visibility to the territory and providing leverage for the AEC, Technical and Product Team.
- Develops and implements operating plans with a 3-year vision, as well as annual plans; including generating product awareness, mining applicable projects, driving specifications, maintaining specifications through PO, providing installation support.
- Continually seeks knowledge of the competition and ensures the information is fed back into the organization in a way that can shape action
- Manages margin through strategic price, actionable cost management, and effective negotiation using accurate and reliable reporting tools
- Through communication and behavior, advances our desired market role and positioning
- Recommends resourcing and funding decisions that maximize value for Owens Corning
- Identifies and develops process changes to eliminate waste/increase profitability for Owens Corning and our customers
- Makes the customer’s strategies known and relevant outside of sales; gets others in the game with them
- Establishes strong and productive customer relationships while ensuring customers meet their financial goals
- Communicates the full value that can be derived from our products, services, systems and solutions; individually and collectively
- Ensures a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment and builds a culture where safety is the priority.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, architecture or construction management
- Direct sales experience of 5 - 10 years preferred
- In the building materials industry, preferably high-end commercial waterproofing, and a strong building science knowledge.
- Effectively marketing, educating and selling new products and solutions; attracting new customers
- Using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, tablets (i.e. I-pad or Surface).
- CRM (i.e. Microsoft Dynamics 365)
- Building science, building performance, industry standards (i.e. ASTM, UL (Product iQ), FM (RoofNav), WUFI, static dewpoint analysis, structural concepts, ASHRAE 90.1, IBC )
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to build strong customer relationships, develop an intimate knowledge of customers, competition, and the market, with a strong customer focus, and the ability to manage change.
- Well-organized, self-starter with strong organization and, deadline management skills
- Listening, fact gathering, developing conclusions, developing strategies / recommendations
- Possess excellent presentation skills with the ability to be persuasive by understanding the customer’s needs.
- Negotiation skills including reconciling customer expectations for high performance, higher cost versus lower cost, lower performing products
- Consistent in asserting themselves and willing to speak up to defend point of view.
- Demonstrated dependable ability to prioritize, follow-up and execute against multiple opportunities
- Makes decisions, commits to a course of action, and executes action plans
- Works well cross functionally (i.e. marketing, sales, R&D) and demonstrates leadership within teams
- Approaches work with considerable energy and stamina while avoiding distraction.
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards
- Shows appreciation for and understanding of the feelings of others, aware of personal impact on others, Expresses opinions without offending or creating defensiveness
- Ability to understand and apply internal and external databases and sales tools.
- Applies continuous improvement to the sales process to improve business execution and results
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.