Newark, Ohio, United States
Production SupervisorJob ID 54251
The Production Supervisor is accountable to lead the operation and personnel within a rotating shift environment. They are expected to understand what is necessary for the customer to meet the customers’ needs. The Production Shift Leader manages and oversees all shift operations in a manner that enhances the plant’s safety, engagement, cost, productivity, efficiency, quality, and customer service. This position is a development role for higher level Manufacturing Operations positions.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead operations and 25+ personnel assigned to rotating shift.
- Drive workgroup to proactively achieve zero injuries / safety incidents.
- Resource shift in order to safely meet production schedules.
- Maximize quality and quantity of product delivered to warehouse to satisfy customer needs.
- Minimize controllable costs.
- Sustain high levels of product quality, with a target of zero quality defects or complaints.
- Communicate expectations and hold team members accountable for delivering exceptional performance results.
- Foster an environment that promotes teamwork and inclusion.
- Maintain plant housekeeping expectations.
Reports to: Wool Complex Leader
Span of Control: Approximately 25 People
Live the Safety stand, adhere to the safety responsibilities.
- Ensure employees completion of all required safety training.
- Lead execution of monthly team safety requirements – including completion of behavior-based safety observations, near miss reporting, safe work permits, safety meetings, pre-shift safety inspections, departmental inspections, etc.
- Educate and coach team members on safe operating procedures and behaviors, and provide reinforcement and feedback where appropriate to drive desired behaviors.
- Effectively communicate Owens Corning’s stand on safety throughout the Operations Department to ensure employees believe in and behave in a manner that supports our stand that all accidents are preventable, safety is everyone’s responsibility, and that working safely is a condition of employment at Owens Corning.
- Perform reporting and investigation of all safety incidents, driving to root cause and permanent resolution.
Achieve customer satisfaction and quality commitments.
- Understand and communicate customer expectations throughout the Operations Department, and ensure all products meet customer standards and requirements.
- Ensure timely and accurate production to schedules in order to meet or exceed delivery to promise.
- Ensure operational procedures are followed to product specifications, and quality metrics meet customers’ needs.
- Perform root cause analysis with the involvement of operators on all quality issues and resolve.
- Train operators on problem solving skills, and coach through resolution.
- Participate in customer visits (both onsite and at customer locations) to better understand customer needs and requirements.
Lead and develop talent.
- Monitor and enforce all plant and corporate policies and procedures.
- Provide candid feedback on expectations and performance to all members of team on regular basis.
- Complete robust annual performance review with each team member.
- Actively lead and build effective work teams to increase plant performance and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
- Maintain documentation, track, counsel and execute coaching and corrective action when performance issues occur.
- Review, track and modify individual training plans based on individual and shift needs.
Achieve plant cost targets
- Leverage standard work to minimize variation and waste.
- Develop and implement productivity projects / programs to enhance processes.
- Drive waste out of operation.
- Utilize proper resourcing to meet cost targets.
- Execute role redesign, as required.
- Gather input from and engage all team members in productivity initiatives.
Execute administrative processes.
- Input and / or verify payroll records.
- Verify time and attendance reports.
- Solicit overtime when necessary to satisfy operational needs.
- Verify operational data in IPOP and SAP.
- Summarize and communicate shift results.
- Bachelors degree required, preferably in Engineering, Science, Operations or Business
- Minimum 2 year (3 years preferred) of work experience in manufacturing, industrial, or related environment required.
- Minimum 1 year (2 years preferred) of leadership / supervisory experience required.
- Mechanical aptitude required
- Union experience preferred
- Experience utilizing computer programs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to travel, as required (0 - 5%)
- Experience with Microsoft Office products
- Ability to build strong team alignment and communication
- Ability to coach and guide for results
- Leads through safety and corporate vision
- Possesses strong process and financial acumen
- Possesses strong change management skills
Ability to effectively drive for results in a union environment
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.