The Regional Sales Leader for North American Roofing distribution sales provides sales guidance for both our Roofing Shingles and Components business segments. The Regional Sales Leader is accountable for developing and executing market strategies and customer plans that create value for our customers and drive profitable top line growth. This person directs and develops a team, emphasizing teamwork and accountability from the customer back across all our business transactions.
Reports to: Area Sales Director, Roofing
Span of Control: Directs a team of Area Sales Managers in the Florida Region of our Roofing business
Know the Customers
- Demonstrate intimate business insight and knowledge of business segment customers, their businesses, what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the differential value that our current and future products, programs and processes deliver to the customer.
- Direct the sales team, and other broader business teams which interact with sales, and hold them accountable for building a deep understanding of the industry and markets, and an intimate professional/business understanding of customer needs.
- Drive results by demonstrating high expectations of our organization around sales mentorship and coaching, customer communications, sales skills, negotiation skills, business acumen, teamwork and product knowledge to support our customer at every level.
- Relate well to customers and build trusting external relationships; customers have confidence in sharing concerns
- Provide innovative and out-of-the-box solutions to customer and business issues
Strategy Development and Execution
- Work with sales leadership to develop regional business and local marketing strategies that will ensure the profitable growth and success of our customers and Owens Corning.
- Provide the following insights specific to the regional business strategy as input to the overall sales strategy:
- Ecnomic impacts
- Market and industry trends
- Custmer and channel specific forecasting
- The un-met needs f customers and the market
- An assessment f the competition which identifies competitive advantages, disadvantages and company strengths and weaknesses
- An assessment f risks and their potential impact on business segment results and potential action plans which respond to the risks
- The resurces or investments required, including organization structure and people requirements
- Organize the region to deliver the strategic and supporting goals.
- Manage the regional P&L, continually emphasizing sales productivity and managing the business by the numbers.
- Provide direction for key business decisions pertaining to price, market strategies, channel conflict, and other customer facing opportunities.
- Communicate business strategy and performance to external constituents (customers, industry) effectively and engage them in the vision of the business.
- Communicate with all major customers and model behavior for the sales team so that our customers know our strategic plans, how to position for market conditions, and build trust and operating integrity in our business relationships.
- Design selling programs, with an outside-in perspective, to drive Owens Corning and customer profitability.
- Responsible to ensure all initiatives and strategy are cost effective, and direct the sales organization around managing costs to plan.
Sales Operations Direction
- Drive sales productivity by creating a dynamic selling environment with high expectations through performance management and an emphasis on personal and team development.
- Develop, communicate and direct the annual sales plan for the business segment(s) consistent with near-term requirements for financial and non-financial performance and long-term strategic requirements, driving accountability throughout the sales organization and other broader business teams.
- Monitor market data and customer feedback to collect and synthesize changes in market conditions and/or competitive behavior.
- Utilize business and management reviews, and continuous commercial oversight, to respond to external conditions and drive business performance.
- Oversee and manage the forecasting and pricing processes in the region.
- Establish clear and appropriate operating authority on critical performance drivers (e.g., pricing, operations/capacity planning).
- Commit to eliminating waste in sales processes, driving for sales process effectiveness.
- Establish clear expectations related to OC values, safety, business ethics and the law, and financial controls.
Direct and Develop Sales Talent
- Work with peers and the Area Director to develop and execute the organization structure and roles, creating jobs with strong accountability and development opportunities in the pursuit of sales capability excellence.
- Develop talent through effective coaching, performance management, talent evaluation and utilization of people, building talent bench strength at all levels.
- Commit to attract, develop and retain strong sales talent.
- Effectively create and fill open positions with the appropriate mix of internal promotions and external recruitment, to satisfy near-term performance, longer-term succession needs, and to ensure the organization has the necessary outstanding talent to deliver the Company’s strategy.
- Create teamwork across the sales function and the business segment(s) to maximize the performance of Owens Corning and the development of people.
- Is regarded by the employees of Owens Corning as a role model for their growth, development and conduct.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field required
- Leading a sales, marketing or business team including direct or indirect guidance and influence
- Building strong customer relations
- Leading an organization in a range of economic conditions, i.e. expansion, contraction, stable economic conditions
- Operating across geographic and cultural boundaries
- Increasing margins through thoughtful management of price, mix and cost
- Marketing and selling new products and services; attracting new customers
- Growing a sales organization organically
- Delivering rapid improvement in an underperforming organization
- Participating in the development of strategic plans
- Attracting, developing and retaining outstanding talent; developing and growing talent, growth and development
- Understanding impacts of and influencing codes / public policy for future business growth
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to develop an intimate knowledge of customers, competition, and the market
- Strong business and financial acumen with analytical ability, accompanied by excellent presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute strategic directions
- Demonstrated ability to manage and control costs
- Demonstrated ability to develop a functional operating plan
- Demonstrated ability to increase margins
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.