Portland, Oregon, United States
ExtruderJob ID 53897
Job Title: Extruder Operator
Reports to: Plant Leader
Supervises: Not Applicable
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Owens Corning Foam Insulation plant in Gresham, Oregon is hiring machine operators to run downstream and packaging equipment, perform quality checks, and monitor processes. The plant produces extruded polystyrene foam insulation. Working for Owens Corning, a Fortune 500 company that has received numerous distinctions for leadership, offers opportunities and benefits including:
- Competitive wage and bonus package
- Flexible schedule that offers a 3-day weekend twice a month, with days off during the week
- Paid vacation
- Skill development including people leadership and conflict resolution training courses
- Robust benefits starting immediately
- Strong focus on safety (high achieving plant safety record)
- Clean work environment
- Employee and family events and celebrations
- Focus on work/life balance
- Opportunities for advancement
- Employee stock purchase plan, 401K matching program
- Personal health support, including fitness challenges and rewards
Successful Candidates must:
- Contribute to the success and growth of the plant through ingenuity, creativity and integrity.
- Work in self-directed teams, with little to no supervision
- Learn to operate and troubleshoot equipment in various areas of the plant
- Be willing to work 12-hour shifts rotating between days and nights every 6 weeks
- Be willing to work holidays
- Operate the extruder machine. Control all settings, pressures, temperatures, and properties to produce salable product.
- Solve product issues, including making adjustments to address any quality or throughput issues
- Coordinating response activities during upset conditions in the extruder area
- Proven success in working with minimal supervision;
- Ability to drive for results in a team atmosphere.
- Troubleshooting skills, including root-cause analysis and resolution of machine issues;
- Ability to drive the process to ensure production and quality targets are met on a daily basis;
- Complete and enter work order notifications in SAP;
- Maintain 5S and good housekeeping of work areas and plant;
- Demonstrated leadership skills;
- Extruder Operators must use a forklift to move finished product bundles to warehouse staging area. All successful candidates must pass forklift lift training and become certified on the forklift during their introductory period;
- The ability to do basic mathematical calculations;
- The ability to read instruments and accurately record readings;
- Basic computer skills;
- Comply with all plant rules including safety regulations;
- All other duties as assigned or needed.
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Must have the ability to multi-task
- Must be able to troubleshoot and solve complex situational problems
- Must be able to analyze data trends and make adjustments where needed
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must have the ability to do basic mathematical calculations
- Must be able to read instruments and accurately record readings
- Must have basic computer skills
The employee must be able to:
- Operate a computer or other keyboard instrument
- Consistently navigate a Human-Machine Interface system at the extruder machine
The employee should have the following:
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalent is required
- Experience Driving Fork Truck (Preferred)
- Experience as Extruder Operator (Preferred)
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time during 12 hour shifts
- Work in high and low temperatures
- Repeatedly bend and twist to lift bundles of product
- Lift up to 50 pounds
Please ONLY submit your resume and/or apply one time. Please do NOT contact the company directly. If we feel your skills and qualifications match our criteria we will contact you.
Pre-employment assessment, drug screen, physical exam, and background check required.
For new hires in regular job openings, the first 90 days of employment at Owens Corning Gresham Foam Insulation are considered to be an introductory period where your work performance will be observed and evaluated. Completion of the introductory period does not guarantee continued employment and does not alter the at-will relationship between you and the Company.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.