Portland, Oregon, United States
Operations and Reliability Leader - Gresham Foam PlantJob ID 54324
The Operations and Reliability Leader for the Gresham Foam Insulation production facility provides technical and business leadership in product manufacturing and has responsibility for ensuring that all plant areas and equipment are maintained and operated in an efficient, safe and reliable manner. The person in this position helps to implement organizational strategies, standards and practices to achieve best-in-class performance in the following areas:
- Safety – Our employees live injury-free lives
- Talent – Our employees own the success of the business
- Quality – We produce zero defects or failures to customer requirements
- Environmental – We operate with zero non-conformities and zero waste streams
- Cost – We are the competitive cost leader
The position reports directly to the Plant Leader and is an integral partner in executing the operations strategy for the plant. Requires flexibility to travel 10 – 20% of the time.
Lead safety and security for an injury free work environment
- Ensuring a safe, clean, and environmentally compliant work environment and building a culture where safety is a fundamental value.
- Allocates resource requirements and investments required to achieve zero injuries, including systems, focused programs and leadership.
- Ensuring that all control plans, work instructions, and other procedures related to the technical operation of the production lines ensure the safety of employees.
- Developing risk assessments for critical tasks
- Promotes safety and VPP STAR certification
- Actively participates in and follows requirements for Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Maintain focus on safety in all TPM initiatives
- Use TPM methodologies to continue the journey beyond zero incidents
- Adhere to and continuously improve all safety policies, procedures and standards
- Support and participate in wellness and community initiatives
- Operate with zero environmental non-conformities to applicable company, government and regulatory policies.
Lead Reliability Operations
- Set clear and measurable expectations, in line with plant goals; proactively analyzes and manages all relative performance metrics making improvements to efficiencies and cost.
- Ensures measurement system is followed and used to drive results; rewards and celebrates safe behavior and achievements
- Effectively communicate goals, objectives and progress, holding people accountable to deliver results
- Own capital investment budget forecasts, plans, scope and cost estimates for plant improvements
- Cultivate a data-driven robust reliability program
- Identify and drive continuous improvement efforts through standardized work to cut cost and improve productivity and quality.
- Prepares budgets relative to manpower, production, and space forecasting necessary to meet customer demands.
- Ensures the quality systems are utilized to provide a consistent product that meets manufacturing specifications and customer expectations
- Partner with T&D Pillar to develop and administer training programs and standard work to ensure repeatability and manufacturing excellence
- Partners with the Process Engineer to identify and drive continuous improvement efforts to improve productivity and quality.
- Effectively engage warehouse and all other functional areas of the plant as partners/ team members
Lead PM Pillar
- Work with the operational leadership & global TPM steering team to develop the master plan and subsequent strategies for the implementation of PM Pillar in Gresham
- Partner cross-functionally with finance, engineering, and other teams to understand the current performance challenges, while developing sound solution strategies
- Identify, track, and communicate the metrics that will measure the Pillar’s progress
- Proactive approach; the goal should be problem-prevention, instead of problem-solving
- Elevate the plant-wide proficiency and utilization of the right processes and toolsets to solidify the Lean & TPM culture
- Effectively mentor teams and individuals at all levels of the organization around TPM principles and processes
- Develop and deliver training as needed to build TPM knowledge and awareness across the plant
Develop a positive employee relations environment
- Ensures a positive, creative, diverse and collaborative work environment where employees own the success of the business.
- Establish an engaged workforce characterized by mutual trust, open communications, teamwork, and recognition.
Lead and develop talent
- Create an environment where talent is developed, and their full potential is realized.
- Invest in the growth and development of direct reports.
- Maintain documentation, track, counsel and execute coaching and corrective action when performance issues occur.
- Leads, coaches, and teaches employees to reinforce High Performance values of engagement, empowerment, conflict resolution, and ownership of safety, plant processes and performance
- Works with shift coaches to complete and deliver mid-year and year-end reviews for all employees on the production shift. Develops Growth and Development plans for continuous improvement coordinator and all production shift employees
- Partner with Process Engineer to grow technical capability of the Downline Technicians through focused training and performance feedback
- Builds a department worthy of being used as marketing and communications platform, both internal and external
Lead across the plant
- Drive alignment between plant departments.
- Share best practices, challenge thinking and provide candid and respectful feedback; set an example for the organization of how teamwork and partnerships should work.
- Be seen as a big leader across the plant, driving engagement and supporting cross-functional projects and teams.
- Assist the Plant Leader with other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related discipline preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ people leadership in manufacturing environment with strong knowledge of maintenance systems and processes.
- Exposure to cross-functional team leadership or participation.
- A history of hiring, growing and promoting talent within the organization.
- PM Pillar (TPM) experience desired.
- Six Sigma certification and lean manufacturing experience preferred.
- Training and developing technical skills in others
- 3+ years’ experience with TPM (JIPM) deployment and leadership of AM, PM, FI or T&D Pillars
- Demonstrated ability to improve business results by working through others
- Demonstrated ability to lead change to deliver results
- Experience and success coaching and leading teams in a high employee engagement/empowerment culture strongly (preferred)
- TPM (JIPM) certification (preferred)
- Functional leadership in a complex environment (preferred)
- Major programs deployment (preferred)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Leading and developing others – is mature, balanced, and professional when acting to lead others. Able to lead and grow talent without direct authority. Skilled and confident when coaching and advising primary employees.
- Quick learner – ability to learn concepts and new skills at a very rapid pace and apply learnings to the job. Can understand deep and complex scientific concepts and troubleshoot problems based on abstract data.
- Collaborator – builds relationships easily with others, and collaborates across leadership and technical networks to drive initiatives and results
- Business acumen – Demonstrates understanding of the financials and metrics of the business as well as technical areas. Shows appreciation for, understands and balances the needs of employees with the needs of the business
- Excellent communicator - written and oral, including presentation and training skills.
- The ability to utilize OC systems and other technology necessary for this role
- Utilizing data and data collection systems, and Six Sigma methods for problem-solving and decision-making to eliminate manufacturing losses and unnecessary costs
- Creating and implementing strategic and operational plans
- Able to achieve results fast both individually and through teams
Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Engages and cares for others, starting with safety.
- Quality- and detail-driven – unyielding performance expectations of self and others in the area of quality control
- Puts the needs of the business ahead of his/her own self-interest. Operate transparently without a personal agenda
- Customer orientation: Has an external perspective and understands that all business opportunities start with knowledge of how to serve our customers.
- Acts as a leader amongst peers: Expected to embrace and help drive division initiatives throughout the business unit. Acts as a mentor for other maintenance leaders and is willing and able to take on additional division type assignments as needed.
- Establishes courses of action: translates strategies into actionable operating plans; sets goals for personal and team accomplishment; uses measurement methods to monitor progress; quickly overcomes barriers and adapts plans to ensure goal attainment.
- Sets goals for organizational and personal accomplishment and ensures employees always know what’s expected of them, how they are performing, and how their performance impacts business results and determines their reward and recognition.
- Achieves results fast, individually and through teams – can synthesize data and multiple points of view quickly and creatively to arrive at balanced solutions. Has a strong bias for action.
- Takes business risks, grows from failures and celebrates success.
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards
- Ability to prove results-oriented leadership and entrepreneurship
- Ability to motivate and inspire others at all levels of the organization
- Accessible, open-minded, and able to work well with others; handle resistance or conflict in a productive way
- Intellectually strong, able to combine analytical reasoning and creativity and good judgment
- Agent of change which can create momentum for new initiatives while understanding the many different perspectives in the plant; effectively gain support across the organization as needed
- Strong self-awareness of one’s strengths and development opportunities; works to continuously improve