Portland, Oregon, United States
Roofing Level 1Job ID 56685
Competitive pay starting at $21.05/hr
Plus $1.25/hr swing/night shift differential
Job Title: New Hire
Department: Production Operations
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
This person is a member of one of three crews that operate the roofing production line. You will work with your shift to safely produce high quality roofing shingles in a fast pace continuous operation environment. You will be a key contributor to the continuous improvements of critical plant performance metrics in the areas of safety, quality and productivity. This role is essential to the successful operations of the Portland Roofing plant. This is an hourly position reporting to the applicable Operations Front Line Leader.
The current shift schedule is Sunday-Friday on 8-hour Day, Swing, and Graveyard shifts.
- Lives the Owens Corning Safety Stand and meets all safety requirements. Safety is a condition of employment.
- Participates in the safety, quality, Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) and housekeeping programs as established within the plant.
- Communicates safety concerns and/or equipment problems/abnormalities to appropriate personnel.
- Complies with all plant rules and safety regulations.
- Performs job tasks to reduce environmental impact and adheres to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste/recycling disposal.
- Performs cleanup duties at workstations through shift and before end of shift.
- Able to certify on forklift operations
- Able to follow and understand Job Hazard Analysis (JHA).
- Willing and able to assist other operators when needed
- Alarm Management: knows and understands the alarms in the area while also demonstrating knowledge of other alarms in the roofing process. (Front-end/Back-end alarms). Capable of responding to and clearing all alarms.
- Must perform up-time and down-time PM’s (Preventive Maintenance)
- Able to properly use a tape measure to conduct product measurements at regular intervals such as length, width, underlay width, shadowline width, paint line/surenail placement.
- Maintains strong communication with appropriate line section operators to ensure immediate action is taken for product out of spec.
- Has knowledge of a defective shingle/bundle and removes those from the line.
- Communicate at shift changes key production information such as product, color, mechanical issues, etc.
- Demonstrates flexibility to changing priorities as business needs dictate.
- Understands the needs of the customer and takes action to address those needs.
- Identifies and participates proactively in learning opportunities, and develops expertise in those areas.
- Ensures standard operating procedures and processes are in place.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of this position, as directed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US
- Two or more years of manufacturing experience strongly preferred
- Mechanical aptitude is a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Able to effectively communicate in English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Basic computer skills such as MS Office and Outlook
- Demonstrates the ability to multi-task
- Strong internal and external customer service skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must be self-motivated to work independently and in a group, and meet targets
- Capable of performing basic mathematical calculations
- Demonstrates a strong attention to detail
- Willingness to train and coach others
- Must be able to operate necessary software to successfully perform job responsibilities
- Capable of thinking and working under pressure and analyze information to identify solutions
- Must have and execute with sense of urgency
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED TRAINING
- All annual safety and role specific training, as required by the nature of this position
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Industrial manufacturing environment with temperature variation
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable- hearing protection is provided; required in certain areas of the plant
- Bending and twisting; repetitive movements
- Be able to climb up to a three floors or stairs, use full upper body movement for process; stand up to 12 hours with breaks.
- Use full upper body movement
- Stack and rework seconds (lift up to 35 lbs)
- Handle, control or feel objects, tools or control
It is a requirement to be a U.S. citizen OR have valid proof of authorization to work in the United States.
Must complete and pass a pre-employment background check, hair drug screen, and confidential medical review.
For new hires in regular job openings, the first 90 days of employment at the Owens Corning Portland Roofing & Asphalt plants are considered to be an introductory period where your work performance will be observed and evaluated. Completion of the introductory period does not guarantee continued employment and does not alter the at-will relationship between you and the Company.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2020 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 66 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.