Summit, Illinois, United States
Maintenance 1 Class ProbJob ID 53900
The Maintenance Specialist 1/C is accountable to the Maintenance Leader for the continuous improvement of safety of plant personnel, environmental compliance, equipment reliability, and reducing maintenance costs consistent with overall plant goals. The purpose of the Maintenance Specialist 1/C is to be responsible for assisting the Maintenance Leader in maintaining and improving the equipment within the Summit Asphalt Plant.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take personal ownership to work safely each and everyday and hold other team members to the same high standards of safety
- Notify the Maintenance Leader immediately of any accident, near miss or injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem
- Strong in Pipe Fitting
- Fix unsafe conditions and report them immediately to Plant Leader
- Knowing and practicing lock/tag/try procedures for all required Plant equipment
- Maintaining and understanding plant piping systems, including water, steam, compressed air, and asphalt systems
- Understanding and use of proper lockout devices for piping systems, including locking of valves, installing blinds and confined vessel entry procedure
- Understanding and using burn-welding safety/hot work permits
- Understanding and practicing line breaking procedures
- Ability to replace and service seals and gaskets, including pump packing
- Skills required to replace valves and valve components
- Understanding the use of basic electrical test equipment. (Voltmeter, clamp on ammeter)
- Performing non-certified welding (Arc/MIG/TIG)
- Troubleshooting and maintaining burner systems
- Troubleshooting and repair for electrical systems
- Troubleshooting and repair of all plant equipment.
- Skills and ability for proper alignment of equipment.
- Forklift Certification and ability required.
- Aerial Lift Certification and ability required.
- Boiler operations & blow down.
- Boiler water chemistry testing.
- Knowledge of Fall Protection procedures and requirements.
- Knowledge of Arc Flash Safety and PPE procedures and requirements.
- All additional maintenance skills required not specifically listed here.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Technical knowledge
- Working knowledge of production operations
- Safety & Environmental Compliance knowledge. Safety and Environmentally Focused.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Understands and follows oral and written communication instructions
- Good problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Basic computer skills
- Able to work independently and use good judgment
- Ability to use a multi-meter
- Willing to advance skills and knowledge through on and off the job training
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Log into and navigate company intranet to access for paycheck/benefits enrollment information
- Log into and navigate Learning Management System and accomplish required online training routinely
- Demonstrate good computer skills including Allen Bradley panel views
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency
- Operations and Maintenance Knowledge in all the following areas (not all inclusive): Boilers, Incinerator, Preheaters, Hot Oil system, Tank Burners, Truck Loading/Unloading, Acid System, and Computer Control Operations.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Ability to work for up to 8 hours in extreme hold/cold manufacturing environment
- Walk/Stand on concrete floors continuously for up to 8 hours
- Routinely ascend and descend stairs and ladders as work area requires
- Safeguard self with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – steel toed shoes, ear plugs, eye protection, hard hat, gloves, arc flash category 2 uniforms, arc flash gloves and additional protection (welding helmet, tinted glasses, goggles, and/or facemask) as necessary for task.
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that may be uncomfortable
- Bending or twisting
- Ability to move up to 40 lbs without assistance
- Handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls
For new hires in regular job openings, the first 90 - 120 days of employment at the plant are considered to be an introductory period where your work performance will be observed and evaluated. Completion of the introductory period does not guarantee continued employment and does not alter the at-will relationship between you and the Company.
The Summit Plant is a 100% tobacco-free site.
Choice of 3 healthcare benefit plans, including an HMO
Wellness programs and incentive credits
Company paid life insurance and AD&D insurance
Company paid disability insurance
401k with excellent company match
Employee stock purchase plan
Paid vacation after 1 year
Employee & dependent scholarships
Employee Assistance Program
Signing bonus available for maintenance trades!
All candidates offered employment with Owens Corning must pass a hair drug test, a work and professional reference check, a criminal background check, and a medical pre-placement assessment. A high school diploma or GED is required for all positions and must be verifiable. Candidate may be required to provide proof of completion and to test for skills/knowledge.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.