Summit, Illinois, United States
Package Operator ProbationJob ID 54475
Location: Summit, Illinois - United States
Develops skills and knowledge of the Package Operator classification. Participates in formal and informal training situations related to the Package Operator classification. Performs work of the Package Operator classification independently to the extent of developed skills.
This job requires self-direction, working alone or in small teams with little direct supervision.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs work of the Package Operator classification to the extent of developed skills.
- Fulfills requirements of the department programs to the degree required of the Package Operator classification.
- Participates in the safety and good housekeeping programs as established within the plant.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of the job as directed by the supervisors/management.
- Performs work in the packaging area consisting of: Package Setup, Carton manufacturing, Pouring, Truck Loading and Unloading, Quality Control Procedures, Banding, Wrapping, Polymer addition, etc.
- Maintain quality checks and ensure proper product weight.
- Proper inventory counts and recording.
- Training new Package Operators and laborers for Package Operator duties.
- Carton machine operation and communication to management of maintenance issues.
- Ability to climb up stairs and ladders
- Ability to use entire upper body movement range
- Ability to stand up to 12 hours with breaks.
- Become certified to operate a forklift.
- Be able to lift 40 pounds without assistance.
- Attend and participate in meetings and training.
- Basic mechanical knowledge for spider cleanout process.
- Know and follow all plant environmental control policies and procedures.
- Meet team expectations such as reliability, teamwork, and process improvement. Maintain and improve productivity teamwork, quality and safety.
- Follows all environmental compliance policies & programs.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Able to think under pressure and make quick decisions
- Ability to work well in a team or alone
- Must have good attention to detail
- Must be able to learn the responsibilities of the position
- Certified Forklift driver
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Log into and navigate Globalink to access PeopleSoft for paycheck/benefits enrollment information
- Log into and navigate Owens Corning University (OCU) and accomplish required online training routinely
- Basic Computer Skills
- Experience with and working knowledge of SAP. Requires minimum abilities of being able to log into and navigate SAP for post goods inventory and picking list duties.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Ability to work for up to 12 hours in extreme hold/cold manufacturing environment
- Walk/Stand on concrete floors continuously for up to 12 hours
- Ability to sit and/or drive forklift for 12 hours.
- Routinely ascend and descend stairs and ladders as work area requires
- Safeguard self with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – steel toed shoes, ear plugs, eye protection, hard hat, cut resistant gloves (glasses, goggles, and/or facemask), aprons, face shields, pouring gloves as necessary for task.
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that may be uncomfortable
- Bending or twisting
- Ability to move up to 40 lbs without assistance
- Handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls
For new hires in regular job openings, the first 90 - 120 days of employment at the plant are considered to be an introductory period where your work performance will be observed and evaluated. Completion of the introductory period does not guarantee continued employment and does not alter the at-will relationship between you and the Company.
The Summit Plant is a 100% tobacco-free site.
Choice of 3 healthcare benefit plans, including an HMO
Wellness programs and incentive credits
Company paid life insurance and AD&D insurance
Company paid disability insurance
401k with excellent company match
Employee stock purchase plan
Paid vacation after 1 year
Employee & dependent scholarships
Employee Assistance Program
All candidates offered employment with Owens Corning must pass a hair drug test, a work and professional reference check, a criminal background check, and a medical pre-placement assessment. A high school diploma or GED is required for all positions and must be verifiable. Candidate may be required to provide proof of completion and to test for skills/knowledge.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.