Summit, Illinois, United States
Scientist, Asphalt InnovationJob ID 54559
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
The Research Technician position is a key contributor to technological advances within a testing lab that handles raw material sourcing and external product support for Owens Corning – Trumbull. Owens Corning’s Roofing & Asphalt division is approximately a $2 billion business operating asphalt manufacturing location across the United States. This position will develop a strong fundamental understanding of the interaction between asphalt chemistry and polymer modifiers typically used in the industry to enhance product performance. The Scientist will use this knowledge to facilitate the development of novel formulations for PMA to be used in Roofing or Paving applications. The PMA Scientist will work closely with other scientists, engineers, and technicians in both the Granville Science and Technology Center and Summit Asphalt Testing Laboratory to blend and test of PMA. Furthermore, the Scientist will analyze the results of chemical and rheological testing to understand the essential role of PMA in the performance of the finished products.
Reports to: Asphalt Technical Services & Testing Laboratory Manager in Summit, Illinois
Span of Control: Roofing
Execute effective project, product and material testing (75%)
- Ensure rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
- Record data accurately and completely using existing software tools and methods.
- Develop a fundamental understanding of the relationship between asphalt chemistry and polymer compatibility by blending base asphalts with new and existing polymer additives to determine their compatibility with one another and their suitability for end use in roofing or paving applications.
- Devise and carry out rheological characterization of PMA blends used for coatings, adhesives, and paving.
- Measure the critical Fitness-for-Use (FFU) criteria for these products and understand how changes to the PMA used to manufacture the composite material plays a key role in the achieving these elements.
- Connect the rheological measurements with the FFUs to allow rapid prototyping of PMA blends in these applications.
- Apply project management to meet project deliverables.
- Mitigate all risks through proper activities and communications.
Foster sharing and a team environment (25%)
- Team with other professionals to share knowledge, develop, and implement ideas.
- Support capital programs as needed for the pilot plant to support product and process needs of the asphalt business.
- Help maintain the AASHTO (AMRL) accreditation.
- Practice good housekeeping habits.
- Ensure a commitment to zero incidents and actively participate in team safety meetings, hazard identification, and training.
- Support and train contractors and ensure all OC safety standards are followed during contractor maintenance or construction.
- Conduct maintenance/calibrations and ensure all equipment is ready to use as needed for asphalt project work.
- MS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or a closely related field. BS with demonstrated material science experience
- Experience with asphalt and PMA formulation/applications is desirable.
- Prior knowledge of chemical or rheological techniques for asphalt characterization (HPLC, FTIR, DSR) is desirable.
- Willingness to stop any task without hesitation to address a safety concern.
- Demonstrated use of science and engineering principles to deliver new product solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of statistics and experimental design.
- Familiarity with intellectual property documentation (patents, trade secrets, non-disclosure agreements).
- Demonstrate ability to develop and meet key milestones, to work and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization, and to technically contribute to the development of solutions.
- Must understand and have good basic computer skills. A working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook) required.
- Demonstrate mechanical, hands-on aptitude with the strong desire and ability for continuous learning and improvement.
- Approximately up to 20% travel needed to support project work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Customer and Results Oriented – Energetic, resourceful, with strong service orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to deliver outstanding work. Never satisfied with status quo -- continually striving for excellence.
- Accountability – knows what needs to be done and gets it done. Willingly takes responsibility for project outcomes as a whole; unafraid of owning the results, actions and decisions of self or organization. Committed to follow through to completion.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed. Chooses appropriate action by formulating clear decision criteria and evaluates options by considering implications and consequences. Implements decisions or initiates action within a reasonable time.
- Teamwork Oriented – Self-starter who works with minimal supervision that balances multiple assignments; works effectively across technology, marketing, and production groups to ensure project success. Excellent communication & soft skills.
- Adaptability – Ability to respond quickly to the demands of the moment and self-prioritize given workload. A flexible person who can stay productive when the demands of work pull in many different directions at once. Willing and open to change as the business and lab requires.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products, manufacturing technologies, and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2019 sales of $7.2 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 65 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.