Tallmadge, Ohio, United States
Research TechnicianJob ID 54176
The Research Technician actively participates in the foam R&D lab team to competitively drive results by delivering quality testing support to effect business decisions that support domestic and global growth of our Foam business. This role provides technical support for foam materials testing by performing diverse skilled tasks in the areas of laboratory testing, new test development, LIMS maintenance, represent OC technical interests on related industry committees. The role provides fundamental support within the innovation organization to key projects and communicating test findings and analysis to innovation partners and external customers. In addition to the product testing role, the 3-year vision for our lab is to have the majority of routine product-testing activities automated – this role will help to deliver our vision through frequent interaction with external vendors and OC engineering and IS functions.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Tallmadge Foam R&D Leader
Demonstrates a Commitment to Safety
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and Owens Corning corporate policies
- Completes required safety training and sets a safety example to the team
- Leads and actively participates in monthly safety meetings
- Leads Technology Center safety audits
- Authors SOPs and JHAs for new method development and implementation
- Leads and innovates laboratory safety initiatives
Execute Materials Testing in Accordance with Industry Standards
- Understands testing protocols and conducts testing per ASTM, ISO or other laboratory test methods
- Converts testable samples from supplied material using power tools such as band saw or water-jet cutter
- Utilizes lab LIMS process and software to manage tasks for efficient operation of lab
- Thoroughly familiar with calibration, operation & maintenance of laboratory equipment & associated data gathering techniques
- Follows detailed procedures and performs testing; communicates findings to innovation partners and customer via LIMS
- Provides quality, repeatable and reproducible testing results without errors in methodology or process
- Develops & implements characterization techniques/methods to expedite foam business testing needs
- Applies technical knowledge to develop test methods to evaluate materials quickly in support of product development programs
- Participates in sharing and learning best practices among global labs and incorporates learning in the lab
- Partners with customers to understand needs, collaborates on design of testing plans and efficiently delivers quality test results & analysis
Laboratory and Technology Center Support
- Supports Technology Center information services (including lab data organization on our file server)
- Supports the maintenance and update of our Wavefront LIMS
- 3 - 5 years of laboratory, or related industrial experience
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering or computer science
- Travel: up to 25% (less travel during the first 6 months)
- Hands-on aptitude and flexibility to work in service organization supporting changing needs of innovation partners, ability to prioritize the top business needs.
- Proficiency employing typical productivity software such as MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) is required.
- Experience working with spreadsheets
- Working knowledge of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Experience working with SAP is preferred not required.
- Experience writing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Job Hazard Assessments (JHAs) is preferred not required
- Ability to pay attention to details and sometimes perform repetitive work
- Experience in organizing or implementing safety programs
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work effectively in a global organization
- Creative mindset – willing to try new ways of doing things to improve effectiveness
- Team-oriented - works effectively with lab peers, pilot-line team, other R&D colleagues and customers
- Self-starter - requires minimal supervision, plans work and balances multiple assignments
- Ability to work collaboratively on industry standards committees
- Ability to lead teams without formal supervisory
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.