Toledo, Ohio, United States
Advanced AccountantJob ID 54076
The Advanced Accountant role supports the businesses in a broad range of Operations Accounting activities. The position works directly with the Accounting Leaders and Business Segments, supporting the effective execution of Operations Accounting’s Goals and Objectives through:
- Ensuring accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close activities;
- Assisting with analyzing business segment financial statements and reporting on variances;
- Effectively monitoring the control environment
In addition, the Advanced Accountant will assist with project work, process improvements and technical accounting research. In all aspects of the position, the Advanced Accountant demonstrates clear and effective communication, teamwork and commitment to the success of Owens Corning.
This position reports to the Accounting Leader.
Span of control: Individual Contributor
- Safety: Live the safety stand and adhere to the safety responsibilities.
- Report safety concerns whenever noted
- Adhere to Owens Corning safety policies always
- Accounting: Demonstrates an understanding of basic accounting and looks to grow knowledge
- Assists with the review of financial information looking for inconsistencies
- Ensures that account reconciliations are supported by valid items in accordance with US GAAP and OC policy
- Works directly with accounting leaders to help resolve issues and concerns in a timely manner within the period the issue and/or concern is identified
- Develop technical accounting capabilities by performing baseline research of accounting policy and guidance and collaborating with team members to form initial accounting position.
- Assists with development of Balance Sheet Reviews developing an understanding of the relationship between various financial items
- Obtains and maintains a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Actively pursues continued education inside and/or outside the company
- Reduction in the number of recurring issues and/or concerns
- Quality of insight to actual results
- Quality of support in attaining consolidated financial results
- Responsible for ensuring the integrity of financial information
- Informal and formal feedback
- Process: Demonstrates a clear understanding of processes and drives to improve them
- Facilitates and completes monthly, quarterly and year end close cycle
- Provides timely and accurate financial statements for assigned business segments
- Proactively assists with comprehensive review and analyses of data
- Considered a valued partner
- Consistently looks for opportunities to improve
- Completes all account reconciliations timely and in accordance with OC policy
- Completes standard process analysis (Bad Debt, Inventory, Warranty, Rebates) timely and demonstrates a clear understanding of the purpose behind the analysis and what events are driving changes in the balance
- Demonstrates clear thought process around decision-making criteria, always acting ethically and responsibly.
- Ensures integrity, quality, and confidentiality of financial and non-financial data
- Develop and document sound, consistent and sustainable processes and controls for the various functional areas of responsibility where they don’t exist and update others as necessary
- Contributes to department and organization special projects as assigned
- Consistently, accurately and efficiently completes close and reconciliations in accordance with respective calendars
- Frequency of recurring vs. non-recurring issues and control deficiencies
- Demonstration in presentations of clear understanding of items impacting financial analysis
- Formal and informal feedback
- Analytics: Demonstrates an ability to review information and find both insight and inconsistencies
- Recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed
- Assists with developing and improving analytical tools through consistent use of the application
- Creates relevant options for addressing problems/opportunities and achieving desired outcomes
- Interprets information through integrating data from a variety of sources, detects trends, associations, and cause-effect relationships
- Assists in decision making by providing good information, allowing to make the most appropriate decisions, and ensuring buy-in
- Consults with internal customers as the SAP, BPC and BI user expert to provide understanding of the system and assist in troubleshooting
- Demonstrates an ability to think independently without prompting
- Continuously builds an intimate knowledge of our businesses to provide insightful analysis of operating performance and financial statements
- Informal and formal feedback
- Relationships: Partners with the business and corporate functions building lasting relationships
- Develops strong working relationships with various stakeholders in Operations Accounting, CFS, Business Segments, Sourcing, etc.
- Demonstrates keen listening skills and consults on simple business issues
- Works closely with all constituents and peers in implementing best practices and delivering the best solution to the Business
- Demonstrates the traits of a team player, operating effectively through mature and sound interpersonal communication skills
- Works well with others
- Supports the team concept
- Shares information fully and timely
- Informal feedback
- 2-3 years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Broad financial and business acumen
- Strong accounting and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to identify, develop, and implement process improvements
- Experience with SAP, Business Objects, and Business Warehouse or similar systems required
- Strong communication skills – both interpersonal and written
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from leader to accomplish objectives
- Organized, deliberate, and reliable in structuring work and effective problem solver.
- Thrives in a team environment
- Ability to adapt to a changing and fast-paced work environment
- Aspiration to grow within the company #LI-KJ1
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.