The Components Packaging Business Development Leader (BDL) provides commercial leadership for the North American protective packaging business and is responsible for wood and metal packaging and other/alternative markets. The role is accountable to create and execute business strategies, and drive growth through sales plans that create value for the customer and Owens Corning, in achievement of the business plan. Through successful cross functional collaboration, the role will provide commercial guidance on price, volume, and mix to optimize Owens Corning’s share and margin.
The preferred location of this position is Toledo World Headquarters, but open to other opportunities close to a major airport.
Reports To:GM and VP, Components
Span of Control: Leads a sales team of eight sales leads across North America
Business Acumen and Growth
- Lead from an enterprise mindset and work collaboratively with other business segments in establishing priorities
- Through an expanded use of analytics and insights, continuously build a deep understanding of our customers and the market place, develop strategies to generate growth opportunities, local requirements to bring differential value to customers and outperform competitors. Identifies internal and external resource needs to insure customer plans are executed fully.
- Understands the market through supply chain operations, and considers multiple options in weighing cost and benefit to make decisions
- Thoroughly understands business operations, from forecasting, to supply chain, to market results; and how decisions impact overall business outcomes
- Leads forecasting process with sales leadership for protective packaging business
- Measures: forecasting accuracy, pricing and margin management, adoption of pricing increases, financial performance to plan and prior year, financial performance versus market conditions.
Commercial Strategy and Business Planning
- Develop strong relationships and credibility with strategic internal stakeholders and operate as a trusted advisor and business partner. (Marketing, Pricing, Supply Chain, S&T and Manufacturing)
- Understand and educate key internal stakeholders on customer and channel dynamics driving the identification of the key initiatives which will translate into higher value for the customer and change how they view Owens Corning.
- Drives new and different ideas, innovation, collaboration across areas of business, and participates in business leadership level discussion.
- Ensure Components point of view / knowledge is included in the Customer Discovery process.
- Informs and develops large-scale strategy, leveraging knowledge of how our business and our customer’s businesses align, and where and how we can best grow across markets
- Enlists commitment to strategy, and ensures consistent implementation of strategy throughout the organization
- Understands overall and area business strategies; takes initiative in creating and leading execution of national and regional market strategies to achieve success and support the larger goal
- Identifies meaningful data; interprets and leverages data to synthesize changes in market conditions and/or competitive behavior, and the support the creation and execution of strategies
- Analyzes internal and external risks, and their potential impact on business results, developing mitigation plans to address risks.
- Measures: business strategy reviews, channel and market share management, operating margin
- Develops the protective packaging pricing strategy and structure in partnership with sales and pricing leadership teams; ensures that Owens Corning is paid for the value we provide
- Creates alignment with GM and stakeholders; capitalizes on the value provided by our company through robust price management. Understands cause and effect related to pricing and market share; knows what levers to pull to get the desired result
- Consistently drive customer programs to improve cost structure at all levels
- Identifies competitive advantages, disadvantages and company strengths and weaknesses
- Responsible for managing customer contracts and agreements in compliance with our legal requirements and in partnership with business counsel.
- Develops and motivates people in a way that inspires outstanding performance; coaching, mentoring, and supporting team members, sharing best practices and resources for development and growth.
- Influences and holds others accountable, and at times, to put the needs of others first.
- Embodies executive presence by inspiring and influencing others, both internally and externally.
- Operates and communicates in a decisive, clear, concise, and consistent manner.
- Build world class business development leaders and pricing leaders through effectively identifying, assessing, and hiring top talent.
- Develops team members to meet current and future talent needs; directly addresses performance concerns, challenges team to grow and improve, and encourages continuous learning and development.
- Builds trusting relationships through effective and consistent communication, active listening, and dependability.
- Prioritizes competing priorities effectively, focuses on what matters most, and delegates or defers as needed.
- Collaborates across functions and businesses to maximize the performance of Owens Corning and the development of people.
- Measures: Team performance, development of development plans, extraordinary talent additions through external recruiting
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field, Master’s degree preferred
- 10+ years of industry or related sales experience
- Driving organic growth in a sales organization
- Gaining alignment, developing and leading strategies throughout the organization
- Leading an organization in a range of economic conditions (i.e. expansion, contraction, etc.)
- Operating across geographic and cultural boundaries
- Increasing margins through aggressive management of price, mix and cost
- Marketing and selling new products and services; attracting new customers
- Attracting, developing and retaining outstanding talent
- Demonstrates the Owens Corning Leadership Capabilities for Growth
- Ability to lead and execute in a large matrix organization
- Ability to think strategically
- Makes decisions and commits to a course of action with appropriate information; recognizes uncertainty of success, weighs and manages risk in decision making
- Demonstrated executive presence, including confidence and strong listening skills
- Broad operating style, ability to adapt across cultures, environments and styles
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, lead by example, encourage teamwork and provide effective communication
- Ability to develop an intimate knowledge of customers, contracts, competition, and the market
- Ability to drive margin results and organic growth
- Strong business and financial acumen
- High analytical ability
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.