Toledo, Ohio, United States
Director-Environ & SafetyJob ID 54133
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
This position leads and manages the EH&S function for the Composite Solutions Business which is comprised of more than 40 locations in 13 countries. This responsibility includes developing and implementing strategy, policy, processes, systems and tactics to deliver world class safety performance in pursuit of injury free lives for all our employees, contractors and visitors, at work and outside of work, as well as driving actions for assuring environmental compliance and continuous improvement of environmental performance across Composites. In collaboration with the Corporate EH&S Directors and peers in the Roofing & Asphalt and Insulation businesses, this position assures contemporary functional leadership through employee selection and development, succession management and participation in the Owens Corning EH&S Leadership Council.
Reports to: Vice President Composites Operations COE
Span of Control: Accountability for all Composites Global Manufacturing Sites and the S&T Centers in Europe and Asia Pacific.
- Drives strategy development for the successful implementation and execution of the EH&S Pillar of Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) across Composites.
- Resources and manages innovative environmental health and safety programs to deliver zero incidents, injuries and environmental nonconformities.
- Analyzes business strengths and weaknesses and the utilization of continuous improvement tools to drive performance improvement.
- Drives key projects and initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint consistent with our sustainability goals.
- Leverages a combination of leading and lagging metrics to identify opportunities and drive continuous improvement (modeling ideation/evaluation/action and connection).
Executing EH&S Strategy and Directing Operations
- Establish and maintain a management system with effective metrics and ongoing assessment to ensure progress and success globally.
- Work with the Composites Operations Leadership Team to ensure the strategic development of effective environmental, health and safety programs to protect the interest of our customers, employees and shareholders. These programs will comply with local legislative and administrative requirements while leveraging current best practices.
- Work with EH&S and Operations Leaders to ensure environmental and safety policies are effective and comply with local regulatory requirements and company policies.
- Benchmark with external leaders to bring the best thinking around EH&S into Composites and Owens Corning.
- Set clear and measurable expectations of EHS performance; Establish, communicate and review commitments on a regular basis to ensure milestones are achieved.
- Establish and maintain a clear vision and expectations regarding safety for our employees, contractors and any visitors at all Composites work locations.
- In collaboration with the Corporate EH&S Directors and peers in the Roofing and Insulation businesses, this position assures contemporary functional leadership through employee selection, development and succession management.
- Designs and manages the Composites EH&S organization creating accountability and development opportunities.
- Creates an inclusive environment where talent is developed through ongoing performance management and talent assessment.
- Effectively uses a mix of internal and external recruitment to satisfy near-term performance and longer-term succession to meet the business need.
- Invests in growth and development of direct reports and other identified talent in the organization.
- Builds a work environment that nurtures and facilitates open communication, employee engagement and diversity.
- Undergraduate degree required (EH&S or science/engineering); advanced degree and professional certifications (CSP, CIH, PE, etc.) preferred.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in leadership roles with progressive career advancement including operational and functional assignments.
- Success in leading large, matrix organizations across geographically diverse areas.
- Experience working with external parties including customers, suppliers and regulatory authorities strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to iterate across ideation, evaluation and action while effectively leveraging cross-functional team connection to get meaningful work done quickly.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with proven ability to shift and adapt based on audience and level of the organization.
- Ability to lead and drive change across teams, functions, businesses.
- Ability to translate complex technical needs/requirements into clear actions for execution.
- Strong organization skills, uses sound judgement to manage competing priorities and keeps stakeholders well informed.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and can influence without authority.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.