Toledo, Ohio, United States
Senior Sourcing LeaderJob ID 53657
The Senior Sourcing Leader, Asphalt is the single point of contact for the Asphalt business for raw material sourcing leadership, with direct responsibilities for the development and execution of short, medium and long-term sourcing strategies for asphalt. This includes assessment of the crude oil and refining markets, supplier management, cost control and optimization, strategic initiatives on driving value and mitigating risk, and talent development. This position is accountable for performance against specific sourcing metrics. The role develops strategic supplier relationships and contingency plans that support the Asphalt business, and collaborates closely with sourcing subject matter experts throughout Owens Corning. The Senior Sourcing Leader, Asphalt partners closely with Manufacturing, Finance, Science & Technology, Supply Chain and Business Leaders.
Reports to: General Manager, Asphalt.
Know Our Customers
- Drives customer value by ensuring timely delivery of the lowest cost, on-spec materials into each of our manufacturing facilities and terminals.
- Knows our customers, participates in direct customer contact and has a thorough understanding of customer issues across their supply chain including specifications, raw material inputs, OC competitors or alternate products, and inbound-outbound logistics.
- Understands our value proposition in specific competitive situations and how the Sourcing function contributes to it.
- Manages supply base, inflation and savings forecasts in a data-driven manner accounting for potential short, medium and long-term risks and allocates resources to mitigate supply and supplier risk as necessary. Continues to identify alternatives (alternative supplier and/or material options) to mitigate risk and increase competitiveness.
Development and Execution of Sourcing Strategies
- Thoughtfully develops sourcing strategies that are aligned with Roofing and Asphalt segment strategy, with focused insight into external markets achieved through:
- Macroeconomic supply/demand fundamentals of commodity categories
- Long-term outlook for both crude oil and refining in multiple industry scenarios
- OC participation vs. overall market
- Risk mitigation and contingency plan creation with suppliers and OC supply chain/ops personnel
- Product specifications
- Growth plans for the Asphalt business
- Supplier performance management
- Economic value potential and other relevant business factors.
- Gains alignment on supplier strategies with the General Manager, Asphalt, Asphalt Science & Technology and Manufacturing and Supply Chain Leaders, Director of Sourcing and, where appropriate, VP of Global Sourcing
Leads Strategic Supplier Relationships
- Develops and actively manages key strategic supplier relationships as part of the Senior Sourcing Leader, Asphalt role.
- Searches out opportunities to grow and enhance the supplier and customer-supplier relationships, and coordinates new business opportunities that mutually benefit all parties.
- Establishes multiple touchpoints between OC and strategic suppliers and serves as the primary and leading touchpoint for interactions between OC and the supplier.
- Deploys talent to maximize results.
- Develops, leads and communicates the annual operating and strategic plans consistent with EBIT objectives and cash flow improvements
- Develop and execute long term strategic plans that adhere to finished quality specifications for internal/external customers.
- Monitor and synthesize external market factors to enable timely adjustments and mitigate potential negative financial implications.
- Facilitate effective communications and alignment with key stakeholders and partners.
Leading and Developing Talent
- Designs an organizational structure that aligns talent and acumen within the objectives of the business segments.
- Create an environment where talent as deployed drives performance management, and accountability through OC Values.
- Ensures development of each individual on the team through robust growth and development plans and have direct engagement in personal development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Supply Chain, or related field; MBA preferred
- 7-10 years of sourcing or refinery experience
- Prior commercial experience demonstrating effective strategy development and effective execution of negotiating tactics
- Willingness to travel 20-30% of the time
- Leading a direct or indirect material sourcing team, where talent attracted, grown and developed
- Leadership across the business and of external vendors – ability to develop and own strategic supplier relationships
- Managing external perspective relative to macro-economic trends
- Application of data driven management through operations research.
- Demonstrated acumen on sourcing influence to financial metrics including cash flow, EBIT
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and with multiple priorities simultaneously
Knowledge and Skills:
- Finished goods and commodity value chain cost analysis with emphasis on external market influences
- Demonstrated effective communication and negotiation skills and track record
- Problem solving and decision making through analytics and data, with Operations Research experience preferred
- Knowledge of inventory management concepts such as cycle stock and safety stock, including their application to both raw material and finished goods inventory
- Demonstrated planning and organizational ability relative to strategy attainment through focus on financial risk and return
- Strong financial acumen with demonstrated analytical ability; decision-making using Monte Carlo analysis or similar platform preferred
- Proven ability to think strategically
- Creative, analytical and competitive drive
- Timely adaptation through effective leadership to account for changes in external market conditions to enable effective inflation mitigation. #LI-KJ1
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.