Toledo, Ohio, United States
Sr Financial Analyst, EnergyJob ID 54303
The Global Sourcing Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) Analyst (Energy) partners with leaders in the Global Sourcing Organization to provide financial, operational and market analytics that drive business results in support of both the short and long-term goals of both the business segments as well as the functional organization. The position interfaces with internal customers and stakeholders within the Global Sourcing Organization, business manufacturing finance and corporate finance functions.
This analyst role will be responsible for all analytics, reporting and data solutions supporting the Global Energy team while working closely with the Global Electricity Sourcing Leader and Global Natural Gas Sourcing Leader on monthly forecasts and inflation reporting and annual operations planning. This analyst will also complete control testing on a monthly and quarterly basis to audit accuracy of contract records and derivative treatment. The analyst will serve as a key link to the businesses, act as a resource for plant controllers related to invoicing and data accuracy and lead the bill pay processing third party relationship.
As the Global Energy team completes its Excellence in Reporting project build-out and achieves stable work streams, this analyst role will further support development of supplier and market analytics, in addition to reporting and data solutions for other Sourcing functions.
The FP&A Analyst is an SAP Business Information Warehouse (BI) “Power User” for the organization and is accountable to deploy sustainable and actionable analytics, develop and host training sessions for Sourcing personnel, and is the finance lead on the Global Sourcing Data Governance team.
Reports to: Global Sourcing Leader – Finance and Analytics
Operations planning and forecasting
- Champions and supports the financial planning and forecasting processes for Electricity & Natural Gas working closely with the Global Electricity Sourcing Leader and Global Natural Gas Sourcing Leader, as well as Net Inflation for Global Long-Range Planning, Annual Operations Plan and quarterly forecasts.
- Actively partners and collaborates within Global Sourcing and associated departments, while ensuring appropriate actions are in place for effective execution. This includespartnering with business segment (Insulation, Roofing and Composites), Manufacturing Finance and corporate finance functions to create and deliver key performance indicators, commodity cost drivers, and process and calendar integration
- Provides decision support through financial modeling, business case analysis and reporting (financial and management) in support of projects and corporate objectives
- Supports the Global Sourcing Terms improvement initiative as a partner providing analytical support for key supplier negotiations
- Operating plan, strategic planning and forecasts completed and approved in a timely and efficient manner
- Operating rhythm and cadence in place and being followed
- Process expectations and timing identified and adhered to
Analytics and reporting
- Supports the closing process, in accordance with the corporate calendar while ensuring documentation and SOPs exist to support consistent execution of month-end close
- Owns the Global Energy reporting processes and produces the monthly operations results package with in-depth actionable analysis on variances of actual results as compared to plan, forecast, and prior year, with a specified focus in the energy, supplier and market analytics space
- Manage monthly forecasting and annual budgeting process for all global sites with data provided by Energy Consultant. This includes:
- Publishing forecasts according to corporate forecasting and budget schedule
- Completing analytics to identify drivers of material changes & reviewing with Global Electricity and Natural Gas Sourcing Leaders
- Completing rate and usage trend analysis by site to drive continuous improvement in forecast accuracy
- Completing reconciliation between forecast/ops plan versions identifying large trends and communicate to the business
- Ad hoc reporting including: invoice collection measurement, ops deck reporting, electricity accrual calculations, VCI reporting, misc. reporting and analytics to support functional leaders outside of energy, CRMC Volatility and Segmentation reporting
- Serve as a business analyst partner to each division and Global Sourcing Financial leader to ensure alignment on timing, deliverables and expectations
- Provide objective insights, timely reporting, effective analysis and overall finance support to ensure productive management reviews, financially based decisions, and proactive responses to mitigate risk
- Evaluate financial implications of specific business decisions/opportunities and advise management accordingly to ensure achievement of targeted financial performance.
- Provides external viewpoints via benchmarking and industry trends as they relate to commodity costs, supplier payment terms, and risk assessment
- Recognized as a trusted advisor to senior leaders and stakeholders through excellence in business case development, data modeling, and scenario planning
- Provide ad-hoc analytical support on cross functional projects and supplier negotiations
- Complete, accurate and insightful information in presentations and analyses prepared for Board, EC, Earnings Release and internal Global Sourcing Organizational meetings
- Effective performance to plan and prior year
- Total cash value created by Sourcing vs Plan and prior year
- Be knowledgeable regarding the enterprises’ suppliers, markets and competitors.
- Establish relationships with key sourcing leaders across the globe, ensuring contact so that market intelligence resources are aligned with business objectives.
- Be knowledgeable of each business unit’s strategic direction and the M&A and project work that supports that direction of business.
- Bring market intelligence expertise to support decision making.
- Bring industry knowledge to bear in strategic decision making involving key commodities.
- Regularly benchmark resources to ensure that best-in-class support is being provided to businesses.
- Be the internal collection and analysis center for key economic, commodity and market indicators for global sourcing
- Builds a current awareness of the competitive environment and develops insights relating to competitor capabilities and intentions as well as the performance of Owens Corning commodities and services vs. competitor capabilities.
- Accountable for preparation of an unbiased view of the competitive landscape based on an in-depth understanding and analysis of competitive information. Monitors for changes in competitive and market dynamics
Resource Advisor Platform Management & Invoice Collection
- Serve as the main point of contact for Energy Consultant and all internal customers as it relates to the Resource Advisor reporting platform (new account creation, system training, reporting etc..)
- Drive data accuracy between internal cost files and Resource Advisor to ensure it’s a tool useful to the businesses to align with all reporting done internally. This includes maintaining invoice manuals for all international sites to ensure invoice data is capture correctly.
- Drive continuous collection of 100% of Electricity and Natural Gas invoices globally ensuring automatic processes are implemented when possible.
- Ensure all international invoices are being submitted for audit, review and data collection on Resource Advisor
- Lead process with Energy Consultant to drive improvements in system development striving toward elimination of excel based reporting in the World-Wide Energy Report
Bill Pay Management
- Internal program manager acting as liaison between Schneider Electric, Cass, Internal Treasury, Accounting and IT groups involved in supporting the program
- Daily management of kickouts in Cass requiring monitoring to ensure effective financial controls and timely invoice payment to avoid late fees
- Point person for all questions, GL accounting code changes, R&A allocations, opening and closing of accounts, service invoice approvals, monitoring of late fees, new account creation etc..
Monthly & Quarterly Control Testing
- Complete NPNS Derivative Acct testing on a quarterly basis to ensure all contracts continue to meet hedge accounting guidelines.
- Complete Monthly and Quarterly contract administration testing to ensure accurate record keeping of all contractual obligations, including TOP obligations, in the contract repository
- Complete monthly and quarterly control processing to ensure a secure environment for payments to Cass and Owens Corning’s money
Global Energy’s SharePoint Site
- Maintain SharePoint Site as a valuable resource for Global Energy leaders and all businesses
- To include: Derivative Checklists, Market Information, Historical and Current Forecasts and Operations Plans, Master Energy contact list etc.
- Acts as Administrator for all energy files – file access and security
Annual Tax Audit
- Complete detailed tax analysis working with tax department to ensure all sites are appropriately tax exempt
- Focus on new sites and sites which recently changed suppliers
- Research tax exemptions for energy, prepare support documentation for tax refunds from state department of revenues as required
- Takes initiative in analyzing current processes and recommends improvements that drive efficiency utilizing six-sigma protocol obtained through “Green Belt” certification
- Financial lead on Global Sourcing “Data Governance” team
- Identify and implement solutions for resolving data quality/inconsistency across the Global Sourcing organization
- Conduct data integrity audits to assess compliance with Global Sourcing & Data Governance standards
- Establish and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all FP&A activities of the Global Sourcing Finance team with alignment with stakeholders
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is required
- A minimum of 3-5 years of finance and analytical acumen with demonstrated rate of growth and success in prior roles
- Familiarity with energy markets would be beneficial
- Progressive financial analysis experience in a manufacturing/corporate environment
- Demonstrated process focused and organized work style
- Functioning in a highly-matrixed structure across functional, business, geographic and cultural boundaries
- Demonstrated ability to identify, develop and implement process improvements
- Developing business cases and enrolling leaders at all levels in taking appropriate action
- Experience with SAP and Business Objects or similar systems required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong financial acumen with demonstrated analytical ability accompanied by knowledge of corporate finance and manufacturing costing principles – understands P&L balance sheet, and cash flow dynamics
- Exceptionally strong Excel skills to compile reports and analyze data. Mastery of macros, pivot tables and working with links to other files is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and communicate in simple, impactful terms
- Demonstrated ability to manage and control costs – effectively develops business cases and enrolls leaders at all levels in taking appropriate action
- Energetic and resourceful, with strong positive can-do attitude.
- Thrives in a dynamic work environment, where new subject matter is learned and quickly put into practice
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate risks and opportunities and propose and execute practical solutions
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Word) skills; SAP experience
- Ability to develop strong partnership/teambuilding relationships across global functions
- Must be able to manage many projects simultaneously and prioritize workload appropriately
- Ability to adapt quickly to new systems and a changing business environment #LI-KJ1
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.