Wausau, Wisconsin, United States
Senior Area Sales Manager - MN/WIJob ID 54313
The Sr. Area Sales Manager (ASM) in the building materials distribution sales organization more specifically our Roofing business; is responsible for all aspects of sales and service to a mixture of building materials customers in the Minnesota/Wisconsin market.
The ASM is accountable to achieve mutual growth and profitability objectives for our customers and Owens Corning. The person selected must establish and maintain relationships with customers to include all stakeholders in the territory. This includes one-step and two-step distribution, dealers, contractors, architects and other influencers. New and existing account development in these market segments is critical to meet our growth objectives. Product knowledge, application, building science, financial business acumen and the ability to develop industry / market knowledge and opportunity analyses are critical to the success of this role.
- Strategy Execution – Deliver Results
- Execute annual sales plans, individual and team goals, and implement customer operating plans with a 3 year vision.
- Identify and deliver differential value for OC and our customers.
- Manage margin through strategic price, actionable cost management, and effective negotiation using accurate and reliable reporting tools.
- Advance our desired market role and positioning through by creating value for the customer.
- Recommend resourcing and funding decisions that maximize value for Owens Corning.
- Identify and develop process changes to eliminate waste/increase profitability for Owens Corning and our customers.
- Establish strong and productive customer relationships while ensuring customers meet their financial goals.
- Communicate the full value that can be derived from each of our products, services, systems and solutions, individually and collectively.
- Execute individual and team strategies, and take action to support customer strategies.
- Ensure a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment, and build a culture where safety is the first priority.
- Drive business growth through customer knowledge and market understanding
- Build intimate insight and knowledge of market dynamics and needs, and the competitive landscape.
- Know current and potential customers within the territory, their business, what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the differential value that our products, programs and processes deliver.
- Understand what is necessary for the direct customer to be successful.
- Seek knowledge of the competition and ensure information is fed back into the organization in a way that can shape action.
- Communicate customer’s strategies and involve others in the solution.
Develop Territory Strategy
- Partner with the regional sales leader, peers, and support functions to develop a territory market plan that identifies long term goals and short terms needs to support those goals.
- Provide the following insights:
- An analysis that includes: economic impacts, market trends, competitor intelligence and strategies, clear needs of the customer and the customer’s strategy
- An analysis of competitors’ strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (Understanding of why the customer is buying from the competition).
- An analysis of external and execution risks and their potential impact on business segment results, including a risk mitigation plan with identified actions.
- Bachelor’s degree in business / related field or comparable experience required
- Candidate MUST live within the territory
- 3 - 5 years direct sales experience preferred
- Experience in the building materials industry preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to develop a sale from cold call through close
- Ability to operate across geographic and cultural boundaries
- Ability to market, educate and sell new products and services; attracting new customers
- Demonstrated ability to build strong customer relationships
- Ability to overcome obstacles and challenges to drive for maximum customer-driven results
- Ability to make persuasive product presentations by understanding customer’s needs
- Negotiation skills
- Demonstrates leadership within teams
- Shows appreciation for and understanding of the feelings of others, aware of personal impact on others
- Works well in an autonomous culture
- Strategic, introduces creative ideas to team and leaders
- Carries self with a high degree of professionalism and poise
- Conducts self with the highest ethical and moral standards
- Position is home office based with the ability to travel overnight.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.