Waxahachie, Texas, United States
Manufacturing EngineerJob ID 54457
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The manufacturing engineer ensures the finished product meets customer needs. This position is responsible for initiating and implementing technical improvements, preventing and resolving technical problems, defining best practice standards, and assessing the capabilities of the processes. The manufacturing engineer will provide all aspects of technical leadership in the improvement of manufacturing processes, equipment efficiencies, productivity, and quality.
- Safety – Our employees live injury-free lives, and safety is a condition of employment
- Product Quality – We provide the best quality to our customers
- Productivity Improvement – All areas continually increasing productivity gains utilizing the TPM principles
- Capital – We have the right capital deployed and utilized to achieve manufacturing excellence
- Cost – We are the lowest delivered cost leader
Reports to: Technical Leader
Span of Control: No direct reports
Provides leadership to Process Improvement and Process Control activities and projects
- Work with a safety mindset to eliminate process variation and instability
- Conduct process audits to review Critical Product Characteristics (CPCs) and Critical Process Variables (CPVs)
- Evaluate and improve process consistency and capability (Cpk)
- Implement centerlines for CPV based on CPC specifications
- Develop and implement Operator Control Plans to ensure that all products meet specifications at the lowest cost
- Identify, analyze, and eliminate common causes of product and process losses
- Partner with S&T and TPM resources to identifying and implementing process improvements and best practices
- Implementing corrective actions for issues surfaced through quality complaints and hold tags
- Establish processes for all critical tasks and audit for adherence and compliance
- Partner with operations and maintenance to resolve equipment issues
- Identifying and requesting capital funding for process improvements, new equipment, modifications, etc.
Coach, train, mentor and provide leadership to operators and technicians on the importance of the manufacturing process and process control procedures.
- Educating primary employees in the manufacturing process and process control procedures
- Partnering with operations and maintenance to develop and implement TPM standards for equipment to ensure employee comprehension and ownership
- Partnering with Product Leadership to develop Product Specifications that are achievable in the manufacturing environment and meet customer FFUs
- Partnering with Product Stewardship to ensure all BOM and raw materials match the manufacturing and raw material specifications and are tied back to our internal cost standards
Provides leadership and project management to improve product quality, equipment uptime, and line utilization at the Waxahachie plant.
- Utilize TPM methodologies to identify process issues and improve equipment reliability, process capability, and product quality.
- Evaluate and train others on the CPCs required to provide our customers with a quality product
- Develop and implement procedures and systems to ensure products consistently meet or exceed customer expectations
- Lead experiments and trials for new and existing products to ensure they meet customer’s fitness for use
- Apply sound engineering practices towards the completion of improvement projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Background in technical insulation, continuous processing, TPM, Six Sigma and Lean principles
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of glass melting, binder formulation, fiberizing, forming, cure, and packaging processes preferred
- Knowledge of Root Cause Failure Analysis or equivalent process
- Listening, comprehension, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize and lead multi-functional teams to achieve plant objectives
- Manage projects through completion and achieve results both individually and through teams
- Lead change through influence and without having direct line leadership of the team
- Problem solving skills to quickly assess situations, develop appropriate solutions, and manage execution
- Utilizing data and data collection systems for loss analysis, problem-solving, and decision-making to eliminate manufacturing losses and unnecessary costs
- Create and implement strategic operational plans
- Outside-in perspective and understanding that all business opportunities start with knowledge of how to create value for customer
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global leader in insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composite materials. Its insulation products conserve energy and improve acoustics, fire resistance, and air quality in the spaces where people live, work, and play. Its roofing products and systems enhance curb appeal and protect homes and commercial buildings alike. Its fiberglass composites make thousands of products lighter, stronger, and more durable. Owens Corning provides innovative products and solutions that deliver a material difference to its customers and, ultimately, make the world a better place. The business is global in scope, with operations in 33 countries. It is also human in scale, with approximately 20,000 employees cultivating local and longstanding relationships with customers. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2018 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 64 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.